The internet is awash in lists. We’re sure that somewhere there’s a few billion government dollars being spent on why we humans have such a limitless appetite for all things numbered, but it’s no wonder we adore them: they’re fun, easily digested, often-trashy candy for the brain. But from the great swathes of pop-culture enumerations, some stand out like beacons in the foggy internet night. (Ahem: just a few glorious examples from Nerve.) Great online lists shock us, make us laugh, and teach us valuable lessons (flush the toilet before taking that sexting photo, m’kay?). The format may be grossly overexposed, but the best content deserves to be lauded. Here are the most outrageous, clever, and sexy catalogues of the year that was: the Top 20 Internet Lists of 2009*.
* Besides, of course, our own.
20) 5 Cats That Look Like Wilford Brimley
18) The Top 10 Strangest Lego Creations
17) 11 Predictions That Back to the Future II Got Wrong and 11 Predictions That Back to the Back to the Future II Got Right
16) The 14 Worst Celebrity Plastic Surgeries
15) The Funniest Protest Signs of 2009
14) The 10 Best TV Neighbors
13) 25 Awesome Cubicle Pranks
12) 30 More Men Who Look Like Old Lesbians
11) The Most Scandalous Network-TV Sex Scenes Ever