Five Reasons Daria Should Come Back Instead of Beavis and Butthead

Give smart girls everywhere cause to watch MTV for the first time in a decade.

By EJ Dickson

With a flood of '90s nostalgia enveloping us all, it only makes sense that Beavis and Butthead is returning to MTV with new episodes starting October 27th. One of the best things to come out of Beavis and Butthead was Daria, a spin-off starring one of its supporting characters. The star of the show was Daria Morgendorffer, a bookish underachiever with a nihilistic worldview and a wit as dry as a Triscuit. Accompanied by her BFF/fellow partner-in-contempt Jane Lane, and fueled by reruns of her favorite TV show, Sick Sad World, Daria was the Clinton-era heir apparent to Ally Sheedy's character in The Breakfast Club, if Sheedy had foregone the prom-queen makeover and run away to San Francisco to join a queercore band and sell earrings made of tampons.

It's been nearly a decade since Daria ended, and, with the protests against economic inequity raging, the GOP debates resembling an undergrad performance art piece, and Dancing with the Stars in its thirteenth season, the world has never seemed sicker and sadder. Which is why — with all due respect to Beavis and Butthead — now is a perfect time for Daria to return to television. Here, we outline the top five reasons why Daria should come back to MTV in lieu of Beavis and Butthead. Cue the ironic "la la la las."

1. TV needs more strong female characters.

Unless you count the sexy bunnies on the recently axed Playboy Club, the sexy stewardesses on Pan Am, or the sexy elderly nymphomaniac housekeepers on American Horror Story, this fall season suffers from a profound lack of non-sexy, non-deranged, non-Whitney Cummings female characters. Young female characters in this vein are in particularly short supply; most of them, like Liz Lemon on 30 Rock or Britta on Community, are already all grown-up.

The paucity of strong teenage-girl characters was also apparent when Daria premiered in 1997. If they didn't play volleyball, dance atop a piano, or dissolve into plasma when socially humiliated, teen girls in the '90s were usually plagued by crippling anxiety and low self-esteem (case in point: Full House's D.J. Tannerwho spent entire episodes agonizing over where to sit in the cafeteria and how to make her bangs look as unflattering as humanly possible). Daria did not suffer from D.J. Tanner syndrome. Throughout the series, her character was defined by the mantra articulated in the pilot episode: "I don't have low self-esteem — I just have low self-esteem for everyone else." Like the ferocious honey badger, Daria doesn't care about her social status because Daria doesn't give a shit, which is a lesson that outcasts on shows like MTV's Awkward should take to heart.

2. TV is already crawling with Beavises and Buttheads.

With the success of Jackass, Tosh.0, and movies like Dude, Where's My Car (essentially a live-action B&B for handsomes), the influence of the original Beavis and Butthead on film and TV can't really be understated. In the '90s, Beavis and Butthead's hormonal sensibilities established a permanent foothold in mainstream culture, and while that show's intent was satirical, many of its descendants aren't nearly as smart about being dumb. (Not to say that dumb guys aren't funny, but some variety would be nice.)

3. Daria was smart.

Much like Freaks and Geeks, Daria was a show for teenagers that respected the intelligence of its viewers (who at that point had been raised on a steady diet of Fruitopia and Total Request Live). Unlike Beavis and Butthead, which was both about making stupid seem smart and smart seem stupid, Daria never took pot shots at the smart kids, who on the former show were sometimes the butt of the joke when B&B themselves weren't.

Daria also didn't prize its heroine's snark over other kinds of intelligence. It celebrated academic achievement (as was the case with Mack and Jodie, two ambitious and popular classmates of Daria's) just as much as it applauded a less obvious intellectual curiosity (as exemplified by Daria's sister Quinn, who turned out to be a pretty insightful chick in the last few seasons).

4. It had sex appeal.

With his tousled hair, abundance of piercings, and frontman status as the lead singer of Mystik Spiral, Jane's enigmatic brother Trent was the Jordan Catalano to Daria's Angela Chase. He was the pretty, air-headed, vaguely damaged bad boy that Daria secretly dreamed of getting to second base with, and teenage girls who watched the show felt the same way. If you were the kind of girl who was a little offbeat and not embarrassed to admit to crushing on a cartoon character, you had a huge crush on Trent; he was to us what Donny Osmond was to closeted Mormon adolescents in 1973.

And although her sex appeal was never really the point, Daria herself was something of a hipster pinup as well. Her "look" consisted of basically everything you can imagine a cute barista/Etsy user/aspiring Suicide Girl wearing today: the boots, the glasses, the army jacket, and especially the "I have no interest in that thing between your legs that you claim is a penis" smirk. It was enough to attract the attention of sensitive love interest Tom Sloane in the fourth season, as well as countless fan boys outside the show's fictional universe.

5. It would be timely.

Daria captured the spirit of its times. From the spot-on Fashion Club trends to the awesome soundtrack (featuring consummate '90s artists Beck, Garbage, and Portishead, among others), the animated cels in an episode of Daria dripped with angsty teen spirit. But although the show is noteworthy for its pitch-perfect, '90s sensibilities, there's no reason the creators of Daria couldn't update the show to the present day. Imagine Daria and Jane lampooning trust-fund-baby protestors at Occupy Wall Street, or taking aim at the Snooki/Ronnie dynamic on Jersey Shore. There's an endless parade of public figures who are primed and ready for our withering contempt, and they're making more noise than ever before. Who better than Daria, Jane, and Mystik Spiral to voice our frustrations?

Oct 28 11 - 12:36am
former MTV writer

Not happening. Daria is straight up considered "too smart" and "too left of center" for MTV's current audience. Their audience also - I swear on everything I cherish - "dislikes foreigners."

Oct 28 11 - 10:34am
Ben

and there you have it, folks. The reason why it is now a Sick Sad World. Any possibility they'll bring music back?

Oct 28 11 - 10:35am
Joe

Sad but probably true.

Oct 29 11 - 9:02pm
amie

No Daria, no music videos... this is partly why I keep it locked on The Cool TV.

Oct 28 11 - 12:48am
thinking about it

When I heard that B&B were coming back, I really thought the same thing. I would love for Daria to come back, but the concept worries me. Beavis and Butthead never really aged throughout the series where Daria was on her way to college when the show ended. The show was really good at capturing her evolving throughout the series and if they were to commit to the progression of her life in real time she'd be around the same age as Britta on Community. All that said, if they were to bring the show back with her at the start of college and kept it in the same spirit that it left with, THE SHOW WOULD BE AMAZING!!!

Oct 28 11 - 12:59am
nope

I agree with thinking about it -- the show really ended at a nice place, in a nice way. It stands alone. But then, I'm one of the weirdos who doesn't need the things I enjoy to be expanded on and revisited.

Although I will say I don't think you give the show enough credit. Daria was not without fault. She would get into fights with Jane and frequently Jane would be in the right; she became very jealous whenever Jane had a life outside of Daria. There were definitely indicators of the fact that she did have self-esteem issues, and coming to terms with the fact that being smart didn't have to mean not giving a shit about your appearance and academics was one of the most amazing things about the show. Yes, strong female characters are rare. But having a strong female character, and saying, "Yeah, but doesn't being that brusque all the time hurt once in a while?"

That's great goddamned television.

Oct 30 11 - 6:07pm
LM

what nope said.

Oct 28 11 - 1:29am
duh

Why don't you just collapse the first three points into "She's the kinda girl we like"?

Oct 28 11 - 2:03am
jmh

Way to cite the ever relevant Dude Where's My Car.

Oct 28 11 - 10:36am
Joe

"Lampooning Trust Fund Protestors"

Huh.

Oct 28 11 - 2:39pm
Ed

That...that doesn't sound like her at all...

Oct 28 11 - 5:33am
spinster

I find point three perplexing. TRL wasn't on air until 1998, and Daria first aired in 1996 or '97. Something about the phrasing there is off.

Oct 28 11 - 8:36am
tangents

Spinster, I thought the same thing. And for someone who was a littttle post-Daria (I didn't start high school until 99), I watched reruns like a maniac and took a lot of my cues from her. And nope, you make a really, really good point: 'There were definitely indicators of the fact that she did have self-esteem issues, and coming to terms with the fact that being smart didn't have to mean not giving a shit about your appearance and academics was one of the most amazing things about the show. Yes, strong female characters are rare. But having a strong female character, and saying, "Yeah, but doesn't being that brusque all the time hurt once in a while?' And cue the discoveries I made throughout college (uh, and even still).
I'd also have to agree that they don't need to bring Daria back. Maybe just change all of the character names, update the fashion and the music, and bring it back that way. But in this overwhelming wave of nostalgia, I'd rather them leave Daria where it is-- on a nice cushy pillow of TV history, rather than bring it back and (possibly, probably) ruin its legacy.

Oct 28 11 - 10:30am
faulknersaysrelax

I don't necessarily know that this is a literal call to arms to have Daria brought back. I think it's more of "cry into the wilderness" sort of thing about the current state of MTV -- they're bringing back some of the dumber things from their past (when they're pretty dumb as it stands) and leaving their best and smartest bits by the wayside.

Oct 28 11 - 10:42am
ccq

awww, i was just thinking about my supersweet jane lane messenger bag i had in high school. miss you baggie <3

Oct 28 11 - 11:18am
former mtv exec

I don't know what you're talking about former mtv writer... mtv will totally bring Daria back.

Oct 28 11 - 8:09pm
former MTV writer

Yeah, we'll see.

Oct 29 11 - 11:09am
Kat

I have trouble believing a former "exec" would use words like totally

Nov 05 11 - 7:38pm
max

You do? I find it completely believable, it's MTV.

Oct 28 11 - 11:18am
tru

i dint even have to read this to agree.
"like"

Oct 28 11 - 11:37pm
...

Uh... You should read more than the title before blindly agreeing with something. Just a thought.

Oct 28 11 - 11:53am
michelle

no way Daria used to make me fall asleep back in the day. It was so boring! B&B is dumb but at least its entertaining and come on its more of a cult classic than Daria ever was, lol why are they even being compared?

Oct 28 11 - 1:23pm
Really

?

Feb 01 12 - 2:38am
Um

You realize that the reason Daria came about was because she was a supporting character in Beavis and Butthead. So, that would be why they are compared.

I loved that show because of her sarcasm and dry humor. For me, that is more entertaining than the shows MTV plays today.

Oct 28 11 - 12:02pm
AKat

As much as I adore Daria, I'm hesitant about a comeback. The show ended so nicely, it would be difficult to pick up where it left off without "ruining" what made it great. At the same time, the idea of catching up with Daria and Jane in their post-college world would be amazing!
Is it right for today's MTV? Who cares, post it online and the right people will show their support.

Oct 28 11 - 12:34pm
Litsa

I love "Beavis and Butthead" but "Daria" is in the pantheon. Dickson is right: the material would still resonate today and the more smart, funny ladies--animated or otherwise--in the pop culture spotlight, the less Sick and Sad our world becomes. In total agreement w/ this whole piece.

Oct 28 11 - 1:04pm
Rob

"Unless you count the sexy bunnies on the recently axed Playboy Club, the sexy stewardesses on Pan Am, or the sexy elderly nymphomaniac housekeepers on American Horror Story, this fall season suffers from a profound lack of non-sexy, non-deranged, non-Whitney Cummings female characters."

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic begs to differ.

Oct 28 11 - 1:12pm
Brett

There a lot of smart young girls out today with no one to relate to. Christ, I'm a guy and even I related to Daria a lot. Daria is the type of figure TV needs for the many outcast, quirky girls of today instead of them being stuck with the likes of characters in The Hills and Jersey Shore. I think it could change a lot and somewhat start a new wave of people not giving a shit about embracing mainstream culture.

Oct 28 11 - 1:49pm
real life

No one wants too see a daria comeback because it wasn't funny and no one watched it. Also "ampooning trust-fund-baby protestors at Occupy Wall Street," how about go fuck yourself? What do you do all day? Write for a shitty web magazine about stupid meaningless mass media?

Eat a dick

Oct 28 11 - 2:56pm
Myke

Damn, this is beautiful.

Oct 28 11 - 7:40pm
productivity

At least it's a job, "real life." What have you got?

And millions watched and enjoyed Daria -- no idea what you did. Evidently wrestling was on the other channels.

Oct 30 11 - 11:38am
Kristina

I guess that makes me a no-one. NO-ONES UNITE <3!

Feb 01 12 - 2:41am
Hil

I for one would enjoy having Daria come back on the air. I used to watch it all of the time with my older sister and we loved it. In fact, I just got finished watching all 5 seasons. That show has depth. That's hard to say about a lot of television now a days.

Jun 21 12 - 12:20pm
Ally

Lol I see he struck a nerve. At least he has a job that pays him to perform a service that people want. That's more than I can say about a good cross-section of the people at those Occupy protests. You know the ones, 20 something, bourgeoisie but wears thrift store clothes , has 20/20 vision but wears faux corrective eyewear - more than likely goes to a good school and is pursuing a degree in the liberal arts. Then they cry when they go out into the real world and wonders why nobody will hire a major in underwater basket weaving who dresses like a character in Portlandia.

Oct 28 11 - 2:26pm
EJ Dickson

Actually, it ran for five seasons, and by 1998 it was one of MTV's highest-rated shows. http://www.nerve.com/entertainment/evolved-mtv

Oct 28 11 - 3:07pm
Myke

I'm getting really tired of all this nostalgia lately. It's bad enough that Hollywood is remaking (or making sequels for) every successful mainstream film of the 80s/90s, but now we have even the alternative culture begging for the reboot treatment on all its sacred icons? For God's sake people, culture didn't stop at Y2K, though you wouldn't know it from all the Gen X-ers who refuse to grow up and leave behind their teenage fixations. How about instead of fetishizing the distant past, you all go out and start building a better future? There's no need to 'bring back' anything, frankly. We already have enough of a protracted adolescence problem in this culture without you all endorsing it. I realize how tempting it is now that you can get away with painting the 90s as some sort of lost utopia for the people who weren't there to experience it themselves, but seriously, enough's enough. Stop deifying pop culture icons, stop trying to canonize your useless memories, stop pretending the 90s mattered more than any other decade. Move along.

Oct 28 11 - 4:02pm
Trent

How about you follow your own advice and let others do as they please? Why do you care what other people care about? You move along.

Oct 30 11 - 11:39am
Kristina

Trent for the win.

Nov 04 11 - 12:57pm
Jack

This happens in every generation: Happy Days in the 70s; Wonder Years in the 80s; That 70s Show in the 90s; there is always that return to nostalgia at some point on TV.

Oct 28 11 - 4:01pm
downpour

Daria won't come back because MTV makes a lot more money on feeding off Jersey Shore lovers. Can't really blame MTV, its the viewers fueling the garbage, not the other way around.

Oct 28 11 - 6:51pm
weazy

I think it's supposed to be "I don't have low self-esteem — I just have low esteem for everyone else."

Oct 28 11 - 7:10pm
Misa

I liked Daria, despite MTV not being available in my country. It had to be seen at the obscure hour on the local music channel and was hard to find.

The closest thing we have right now is "Adventure Time" , where at first glance it seems like it's a stupid childrens show, but it's actually rather smart, and has a variety of characters, not just stereotypes that don't grow. Then there is the MyLittlePony Friendship is Magic cartoon which also is targeted at children. Maybe cartoons can stop being pigeon-holed into a target segment and get a larger viewer base.

As for how Daria could come back, there are lots of ways, from rebooting it into the present, to taking Daria to college, university or even a career (which at first glance seems like it would become a more balanced Dilbert if it were in an office environment.) I just don't see MTV wanting to stray from it's shallow low-attention-span teen target audience. There's not much on TV that makes paying 90$/mo for cable worth it. It's unfortunately far more cost effective now to either get a netflix subscription and watch old-but-good stuff, or buy everything on iTunes and forgo having to sit through poorly compressed, watermarked,marqueed "HD" cable channels.

Oct 28 11 - 7:35pm
andy's_dick

two words: f u

B&B rules

Oct 29 11 - 9:35am

+ 1,000,000,000.99

Oct 30 11 - 11:41am
Kristina

It is possible for have both shows t co-exist; heck from what I can tell they are the perfect foil for one another.

Oct 28 11 - 8:58pm
el profe

Fuck MTV.

Oct 28 11 - 10:55pm
Daily

"Imagine Daria and Jane lampooning trust-fund-baby protestors at Occupy Wall Street..."

You obviously never watched Daria, because this wouldn't happen.

Oct 28 11 - 11:40pm
...

Also, I believe you may have misquoted Daria. If I recall, she says that she has low esteem for everyone else. Not low self-esteem for everyone else. That would make no sense.

Oct 29 11 - 1:09am
DirkG

Well FYI Daria is coming back at least to some extent. Judge has promised she is to appear in one of the current episodes.

Oct 29 11 - 1:32am
comma

Wow, a show about the original hipster who HAD to be a lesbian. Whoopee.

Oct 30 11 - 11:43am
Kristina

Tell that to Tom Sloane.

Oct 30 11 - 9:03pm
Ms. Geek

And Trent, don't forget Trent. "If you were a few years older, I'd take you out."

Oct 29 11 - 1:32am
Odessa

For point #1, what about the girl from Suburgatory?

Oct 29 11 - 6:22am
Ariane

Agreed. When I first saw the Suburgatory pilot, it very much reminded me of a live action Daria. Fans of Daria should check it out.

Oct 31 11 - 2:46pm
LAP

It seemed pretty cliche the one time I watched part of it.

Oct 29 11 - 2:02am
gobsmacked58

I would very much like to see Daria come back.
I'd date her.

Oct 29 11 - 2:22am
holly

Daria is a show for smart people, people in sitting on the sidelines of high school who don't really want to be noticed but are still cool in their unique way. The humour is very mature and would be welcome relief from 'Beavis and Butthead' humour. Even if the show doesn't appeal to MTV's current audience, bringing back this show will bring with it a new wave of viewers who don't usually watch the channel.

Oct 29 11 - 3:45am
Mark Carras

My wife was Daria. Her best friend was Jane Lane. Don't worry people. She is still snarky, still hates the world, and owns the Daria DVD box set. She is just too creeped out at watching her high school life as a cartoon and has not even opened the package. :D Seriously though, the similarities are surreal. In her version there was no Trent and Quin was a jock. Still very petty and superficial though. Still drove her nuts.

Oct 29 11 - 7:41pm
Greg

I was pretty much a male version of Daria back in high school. I have the boxed set myself and yes, haven't opened it because I'm actually a little afraid of reliving all the horror. The similarities were quite frightening -- our two schools even had the same "school color" scheme and team mascot (the Lions, in blue and gold).

Oct 29 11 - 5:13am
Ultimate TV Judge

Daria may have given the hipster outcasts someone to relate to in high school, but the show was not funny, or entertaining. It was popular because so many of the viewers saw themselves as being like Daria or her friends; nice, quiet disaffected suburban white kids. Beavis and Butthead, like it or not, was more or less groundbreaking comedy, and was relevant. Daria was King of the Hill for young adults. Prosaic and dull. TV Judge has spoken.

Oct 30 11 - 4:58am
Waka Flocka

Anything comment after yours is rendered irrelevant because you are the final authority of critiquing television shows after all.

Oct 29 11 - 5:16am
LonerStoner

how about just bring back both, and let viewers decide which they want to watch

Oct 29 11 - 9:44am

In the 90's they decided. B&B had mass appeal, Daria was a niche, she filled nicely.

Oct 29 11 - 11:06am
Kat

Over the last 5-10 years mtv has done its best to dumb down its shows, its VJ's, its music playlist,etc. A smart show like Daria just isn't part of their current strategy. And I'm pretty sure that if they do decide to bring it back, it will be a watered down version.

Oct 29 11 - 11:59am
profrobert

Although it took place in high school, I never thought of Daria as being a show about high schoolers. It felt much more like a show about late-20- and early 30-somethings relocated to high school to show how those people (i.e., us) hadn't really grown up at all. Or, thinking about it now, maybe one of the things that made Daria great was that it spoke to a huge portion of the age spectrum, from high schoolers to people approaching middle age (or beyond?).

Also, am I the only one who thinks Jane is way hotter and more desirable than Daria? I'd be friends with Daria, but I'd be mashing on Jane.

Oct 29 11 - 7:24pm
MG

I LOVE Daria. I dressed like her for Halloween... no one got it.

Oct 30 11 - 12:25am
---

Female Harry Potter, eh?

Oct 29 11 - 7:29pm
Alex

Ph shove that Daria up your arse, if it wasnt for B and B no one would give a damn about this lamewad

Oct 29 11 - 7:50pm
ilikemylesbianshot

god i hated daria. the intro, her lazy monotone voice and delivery, ugly style. no idea how this was so popular. the writing was no better than B&B but it sure thought it was. so edgy, offbeat, witty - GAG. as least B&B knows it's dumb.

Oct 29 11 - 7:59pm
halloweenie

AGREE. daria had ZERO appeal for me - writing, voice acting, style. horrid and good riddance

Oct 29 11 - 8:01pm
showtimesynergy

BRING BACK JEM! truly truly truly outrageous!!! Gorgeous, talented and a good heart. daria can 69 jane and roll off a cliff

Oct 29 11 - 9:30pm
yippiekiyay

In the '90s, Beavis and Butthead's ... intent was satirical, many of its descendants aren't nearly as smart about being dumb.

That means TV is NOT "crawling with Beavis and Buttheads."

Oct 29 11 - 9:42pm
ggg

I was too poor growing up as a kid (when this show on the air) to have satellite or cable t.v. I don't what this is other than by the random pop culture reference or random read like this.

Oct 29 11 - 10:36pm
Axl Rose

Daria sucked. Snooty, know-it-all liberal cultural elitist. I see enough of them on cable news. I would have loved to seen Beavis & Butthead tag team her.

Oct 29 11 - 11:06pm
Really?

I thought only lesbians liked Daria. Hmmm.

Nov 09 11 - 4:47pm
I:

Haha oh wow. Don't you look stupid.

Oct 30 11 - 1:12am
sl

Stupidest argument I have ever heard. "Daria" is smart b/c she appears smart. B&B are actually smart if you look past the absurdity of the whole thing. They offer legitimate cultural commentary in a way that is appealing and elucidating. To equate them with shows such as Jackass and Dude Where's My Car is illogical at best. B&B are cultural critics that, yes, can be seen as absurd by some but if you take the time to realize just what they are laughing at, you might also get something out of it! Or you can just be pretentious and pretend that feminism has to do with only females. Moron.

Oct 30 11 - 11:49am
Kristina

"while that show's intent was satirical, many of its descendants aren't nearly as smart about being dumb", the author nailed it in this quote. Viewers will probably not look at it long, or hard enough to understand those embedded points that you're so fond of SL.

Oct 30 11 - 1:49am
nope

No idea why so many people are acting like Daria and Beavis & Butthead are opposing figures that can not succeed together. These devoted B&B fans do realize that Daria came from B&B, right?

Oct 30 11 - 1:18pm
???

I believe it more of matter of does Daria have what is takes be successful. I enjoyed the show and watched. MTV has the numbers on the show, I am sure they have analyzed them and compared them against today's demographic. Since it is not airing I am going to assume they thought B&B had more appeal to their current market. Maybe Nerve should buy the rights to it and stream it on their website.

Oct 31 11 - 1:12am
Dea

Agree. Back in the day (and still), I loved both shows. I would say that Daria appealed to a bit more of a high-brow sensibility and sense of humor, and gave me many knowing chuckles. B&B was a bit more slapstick, (though not as low-brow as casual observers seem to believe), and gave me plenty of belly laughs. I think what they have in common is that much of the humor of each is based on absurdity; Daria points it out in a dry, indirect way, and B&B embody it more directly and flamboyantly.

By the way, I'd be curious about the gender composition of B&B's fan base. I'm a girl and I love it, but get the sense I'm in the minority among my gender.

Oct 30 11 - 10:36am
kmm

My So-Called Life (great reference) is needed as well. The combo of the two (MSCL and Daria) would dramatically increase the worth of TV today.

Oct 30 11 - 9:42pm
Sita001

Jane was a staple of cynicism and sarcasm that made the show just as wonderful as Daria herself

Nov 01 11 - 11:46am
Kia

*"I don't have low self esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else."

Nov 01 11 - 9:26pm
Interrobang

I would definitely watch a return of Daria, and I'd much prefer for the timeline to have progressed. Perhaps she could be working on her Ph.D. and teaching undergrads?

While not quite in the same vein as Daria, MTV's "Awkward" (season one aired this summer; season two will air in summer '12) was surprisingly funny, incisive, insightful, and even-handed in dealing with teen issues, to my mind at least. It's too bad it didn't receive better marketing or press; hopefully next season will catch more viewers. Also, "Huge" (written by the creator of "My So-Called Life" and her daughter) was pretty great but was sadly canceled after only one season (it aired on ABC Family in the summer of 2010).

Nov 02 11 - 8:04am
Weird name

Uhh, if you are tying your self esteem and intellect to an MTV cartoon character....well maybe this show wasn't as smart or mentally stimulating as you were imagining. Your terrible article aside, Daria was pretty funny and should come back, but Beavis and Butthead is still much more popular and entertaining.

Nov 02 11 - 11:30am
silly

where does it say anything about tying your self esteem and intellect to a cartoon character?

Nov 02 11 - 11:00pm
dotta

Beavis and butt head was and is way more popular and universal than Daria was. Daria was too dry, bland, and it wasn't funny. I think it makes fun of everything because people care about things. Long after vbeavis and butthead ended Mtv made money off of it. Judge took it off to save it. Daria got cancled. ITs over rated. Its funny how people are so snobby about how this show was so smart and make fun of everything but people are enjoying themselves. Yaw sound like some haters. Daria was boring. Beavis and butthead are legends. The commentary, burger world skits, cornholio, and so much more were legendary. Daria never reached that level. Why would they bring it back.

Nov 02 11 - 11:03pm
dotta

These points don't matter beavis and butt head is better and more entertaining. Less people would care if daria came back.

Nov 03 11 - 7:40pm
trappedinabay

Regarding #1, what about Buffy? It also premiered in 1997, and the series is chock full of strong female characters. Buffy and Willow, obviously, but even Cordelia came into her own and matured over the course of the series.

Nov 03 11 - 7:59pm
ThatsMsSnobToYou

It's kind of funny that the same who love B&B and trash Daria write run-on sentences with incorrect grammar. Yeah, let's talk about fart jokes instead...

Nov 03 11 - 8:00pm
Xolodnyj

Daria was cool, dry and funny. But, at the time I felt that Daria was trying too hard to be the "it" show for the folks who would watch stuff like Office Space and Reality Bites. And even though I like the show, the monotone, laissez-fair attitude did get a bit old. Almost as if it wanted to hold a sign up saying "We are the show of the counter-culture and you aren't cool enough to watch it"
And I think it was with that type of thing, that feeling is how the show got cancelled. Nah, that show is past (as well as Beavis and Butthead in my opinion).
Also, MTV doesn't show music videos any more, what the heck is B & B are going to make fun of? And I guarantee there will be a huge drop off of viewership.

Nov 04 11 - 7:04am
Kitty with Broccoli

Yea right...More woman on Television. ITS ALREADY overrun with Ellen, Rosie (ewwww), Rachael and with local news and the secretary having a bad day that sort of "misplaces" your paperwork.....All of which is COMPLETELY mind numbing to every Hetero man. I mean seriously...this compares to Spike Lee making a movie a white person can sit thru. "I think of a man...Then take away reason and accountability" Not to mention (but I will) lesbian, liberal activist that will be moved to the top of the list for their own day time talk show even after being canceled repeatedly.

Nov 04 11 - 8:25pm
mmhmm

You forgot to put the "unemployed" before "Hetero man." These are all daytime TV shows you listed. Somebody sounds a little upset that these women have jobs... did you even watch Daria or are you just projecting your own little internal hissy fit?

Nov 05 11 - 1:28pm
Stuartfish

Hell, I still like Winger. As well as snarky undergrads who don't have a clue what they're spouting. (Indicator for an undergrad: I use big words and try to sound smart. Also, knock off the ad hominems, stop being butthurt that no one agrees with your attempt to be cooler than everyone else by watching a show that people watched because it was a B&B spinoff.) Threw in that run on for whiny ass up there.

Nov 05 11 - 6:38pm
Kat

Look, Daria is a great show: very funny, well-written characters, realistic yet origanal storylines, great music. But if it were to come back, it should stay in the nineties. Also, it's "...low esteem for everyone else." Not "...low self-esteem...."

Nov 05 11 - 6:48pm
...

I say leave it! I have the box set which I can happily watch over and over again (and pretty much do weekly). I don't get bored of it! As someone stated earlier the show ended in a really nice way. People should know when to leave stuff alone. MTV is a pile of shit these days. It's all about 16 year olds who have gotten knocked up and as reward been given a damn show. Guaranteed if this show was brought back, there is no way it would be the same show that we all love so much. It would be turned into something different and ruined. Not to mention Daria belongs in the 90's! That's how I want to remember the show.

Nov 07 11 - 2:57am
Sean

While I agree that Daria should make a comeback, I highly doubt it will.

You also shouldn't make a broad statement labeling the protesters at Occupy Wall St as trust fund babies. Sure, there likely are some trust fund babies there but not all of the protesters were born with a silver spoon in their mouth...

Nov 10 11 - 2:02pm
Jessica

Well not all of the viewers are what you say, more smart guys then ever my 3 friends and brother have some cool system where they save the live streams of the show to DVR, PC or just get torrents, or find the show on demand. They chill and relax (chillax ) before watching football on Saturdays if they can even catch it timely. So its not just people who are on the weekend. Daria was overrated. True True, and True. But even though you guys make good and bad aruguments, B&B have enough videos as seen already to rip off and make fun and they are funnier than ever now. mhm mhm and mhm and the whole tech support skit was funny as shit! mhm and mhm fuck grammer right now. Daria oh daria , uh daria isnt on right now. Beavis and butthead are kicking ass , ratings are kinda cool and well that shit is still funny, so thanks to some of your arguments are kinda nully voidy now. but hey good job. heres some scribble for you all afhdxckbfdklgba . Its also cool how some people got the this forum by googling Beavis and Butthead! ahhhh yeah checked out with my buddies at ad sense and yeah 79 percent came from B&B so you guys liiiiike iit. ;-) . Laid Back ```~~~~~```

Nov 10 11 - 2:03pm
Jessica

And not weekend but mid day.

Nov 10 11 - 2:12pm
Matt

Uh Jessica how did you know that percentage? That is Accurate and don't tell me your messed up your grammar purposely like you did on the american idol post? You spelled it er lol hilarious all the time diva. But hey I think Jessica and dotta your right and , weird name I don't know good one . But I mean daria as cool and its good and bad's on all but just be coool they both rocked beavis and butthead rocked, but rock bands make their own music and strive hard and don't live off their success like MJ did but no one points that out they just respect Mj and both for that matter right? So yeah . Too Bad Daria is not on for all those fans. Its just better not to trash B&B because it's like , It's on and Daria is not . Makes ya look Bad!

Nov 10 11 - 8:37pm
nameless demographic

I would love to see this show come back, in terms of timeline it would have to be current. I'd like to see her and Jane starting college on the same campus (contrived but it would have to be this way and I doubt anyone would complain) with Daria living on campus but Jane living in shared accommodation just off campus with Trent and his band who have moved to the city to increase the number of people they "can... like... reach with our music man. Lawndale is way parochial." And there you have it, all the necessary ingredients to keep the shows dynamic and bring us Daria's adventures in college set in the modern day.

You know this is a good idea MTV. In the age of watching TV shows online the Daria DVDs sold out on amazon.com. The fans are here.

Nov 12 11 - 2:37am
steve

If you think Jackass, Tosh.0, and movies like Dude, Where's My Car are like Baavis and Butthead, you missed this poinr.

Nov 20 11 - 8:00pm
Boog

I actually found this more entretaniing than James Joyce.

Nov 21 11 - 3:06pm
lugumhwjr

9e2QCo kddvkbuwnxjv

Nov 26 11 - 1:53am
Mid-20s White Male

Daria is boring and about as fun as a wet blanket. If I was looking for a sexy/smart t.v. show (Reasons 3&4) , as you claim daria is, I would not be turning into a cartoon show with bland milquetoast character who dresses as if she were a quaker prude.

Jan 31 12 - 5:11pm
g.reg

Glenn eichler is writing for the colbert report, and I don't think he would trust mtv to either handle it right, nor for them to handle it confidently. You have to think about how much mtv has changed over the decade, from an alternative off-kilter broadcast to a mainstream, pro corporate one. Glenn wpould have to be awfully tempted, and I bet he thinks he has more access to freedom of expression and creative input at cr than he ever wpild with the current state of mtv. Also, daria is already finished, and there appear to be no more really good avenues in which to take, or rather write the show. I just don't the original people wanting to do this at all.
Of course the article was written in a theoretical way, in combat to the dumbness of television and culture these days. Daria also wouldn't be the first change id make with mtv right now. How about playing listenable/good/ music/music at all, hm?

Feb 05 12 - 5:32pm
quinn

Daria kicks ass. I would love to see it on tv again but I think mtv today would ruin everything that was good about it.

Feb 06 12 - 12:26pm
bond

beavas & butthead are not a good thing to put on the air

they had the one where they both are in wood shop and they took every thing in sight and ran it threw the table saw they ran out and bevis cut his own hand off butthead says Cool keep it off tv

Mar 29 12 - 12:57am
Mark

Came across this on a Google search (Beavis and Butt-head related)

I LOVE Beavis and Butt-head, and have loved it for a long time. I also love Daria but only really got into it last year but have watched every episode at least twice.

Personally I think story wise it makes way more sense to bring Beavis and Butt-head back. Sure the world has changed around Beavis and Butt-head but they haven't. They're still in high school, still watching MTV (only now they're also providing commentary for reality shows which are perfect for it), and still dumb as hell. But it's brilliant satire.

Daria on the other hand, graduated high school at the end of the series. So what do they do there? Put her in college? That could work but then you wouldn't really be able to have any of her teachers on the show, possibly not her family, possibly not Trent, etc. (at least not every episode). So then what? You'd have people happy that it was different, and then you'd have people who miss the original. Alternatively you could put her back in high school but that doesn't really make sense since she already graduated (which Beavis and Butt-head never did, and never will). You can't please everyone but at least Beavis and Butt-head is true to the original 7 seasons and story wise it makes sense.

Anyways I love both shows and would love for both of them to be back but for now I'm more than happy that it's Beavis and Butt-head.

Apr 13 12 - 10:55pm
Gabby

When I first started reading this, I totally agreed. I was born in '98 and I never watched shows like Daria when I was younger, but one of my friends lent me a Daria shirt and I decided to check out the show online. I immediately fell in love with her intelligent, sarcastic comebacks and incredibly monotonous voice. After watching every episode and the finale, it really depressed me that nothing on tv these days even compares to how amazing this show is. But when I read some of these comments, I realized that some of these people have a point when they say that bringing it back would ruin the show. I like the way it ended, and at least now I won't be wondering if Daria and Tom ever break up while they're in college. I doubt that they'd use the same voices as well. And the show would most likely be warped by my generation begging for more romance and partying. It's sad that more shows aren't like this. I wear my Daria shirt proudly.

Apr 29 12 - 12:15pm
Juan Jose Morales

Hola, I am Juan Jose Morales-Castillo, first citizen of the future independent Puerto Rico, and I'm not pleased by the low opinion of your country that so many affect today.
My beloved Daria nihilistic? I very much suspect that she is aware of this quotation of William Randolph Hearst: the end of everything is the beginning of nothing.

May 17 12 - 1:20pm
Ynna

Daria is something worth re-watching. I love every single thing about that fucking show-Daria and her ways, how she can effortlessly pull off an intelligent sarcastic remark from her brain and say it monotonically, how cynical and logical she is, etc. She is the perfect depiction of our sardonic alter-egos. I must say, the avid viewers of this show all had their inner Darias, if not, the intense desire of wanting to be her. Admit it, Daria's one of a kind, that personality & wit is something nice to have. Of course, I won't forget that I had a huge crush on Trent Lane. That guy proved to me that fictional characters are more inspiring than real-life males.

Personally, I think the very reason why some people got bored with the show is because they did not possess the certain depth of understanding that the show requires. Don't get me wrong, those who are into B&B are definitely humor-seeking individuals. B&B is a hilarious show whereas Daria's that kind of a deep show. Let's just respect each other's tastes. :)