How much do you know about women in pop culture and politics?
If you’ve been online in the past 24 hours, you probably know that today is International Women’s Day, a holiday observed since 1908 dedicated to paying tribute to female advancement and achievements around the world. And if you needed proof that it’s kind of a big deal: Google changed its website logo for the day. In honor of women who have kicked ass or are currently kicking ass in the world of politics, art, literature and Youtube videos, we present you with our International Women’s Day quiz. Test your lady-knowledge and don’t forget to take time today to appreciate and compliment a vagina near you.
1. Which girl-power manifesto is celebrating the big 5-0 this year?
a) Bossypants by Tina Fey
b) The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
c) The Feminine Mystique by Betty Friedan
d) Macbeth by Shakespeare
2. Which Congresswoman totally owned a bunch of fat cat bank regulators regarding their unwillingness to go to trial with Wall Street banks?
a) Shelley Moore Capito (R) WV
b) Elizabeth Warren (D) MA
c) Susan Brooks (R) IN
d) Susan Davis (D) CA
3. What’s the U.S. wage gap?
a) On average, women earn 77 cents for every dollar men earn
b) It’s a myth perpetuated by Ryan Gosling’s team of feminist elves
4. Why won’t women have sex with you?
a) You think about sex way more often than they do
b) They are just plain evil
c) They are power hungry, hairy, and on their periods
d) You keep making dumb slideshows about it
5. What’s the best thing about Michelle Obama?
a) The first concert she went to was a Stevie Wonder concert and she got asked to go on stage
b) She made jogging in place fun with her “Let’s Move”campaign (and a little help from Beyonce)
c) She called her bangs her “mid-life crisis”
d) All of the above
6. What does the Violence Against Women Act do?
a) Mandates that victims, regardless of income level, will not be financially responsible for a protection order or rape exam
b) Creates a federal “rape shield law,” which prevents offenders from using victim’s past sexual conduct against them in trial
c) Provides all women with guns so they can defend themselves
d) A & B
7. Which singer took home a Grammy and scorned Chris Brown with a single glance all in one night?
b) Taylor Swift
c) Nicki Minaj
8. Which comedian hosts “Ask Amy,” where she offers sage advice like, “Try just saying ‘thank you’—period.”
a) Amy Poehler
b) Amy Adams
c) Aimee Mann
d) Amy March
10. Do the baby-making parts of a woman’s body, in fact, “shut that whole thing down” during rape?
b). Uh, no.
11. Who was the world's first female Prime Minister?
a) Margaret Thatcher
b) Sirimavo Bandaranaike
c) Benazir Bhutto
d) Golda Meir
12. Rank the following countries in order of economic opportunity for women, from most to least:
a) United States of America
Answers appear on the next page.
4. We may never know.
10. a & b
12. d, f, a, b, c