Celebrate the happiest of acts on International Day of Happiness.
Today is the second annual International Day of Happiness! You know what that means: smiles, sprinkles, rainbows, sunshine, Pharrell appearances. But, more importantly, I have discovered a tried and true way you can celebrate this auspicious day of joy — by boning. Here are 20 sex facts that I promise will make you thoroughly happy and primed for this day's activities. Get to it.
1. Right now, as you sit on your computer reading this, at least 65,000 couples are having sex.
2. One in 10 European babies is conceived in an IKEA bed. Thank you, Sultan Havberg.
3. The average speed of ejaculation during a male orgasm is 28 mph. That is faster than an Olympic runner.
4. The "G-spot" was almost dubbed the Whipple Tickle after Professor Beverley Whipple, but instead the title went to the Gräfenberg Spot, named after physician Ernst Gräfenberg. Which is a good thing. Imagine how many ladymags would have headlines like, "Has he found your Whipple Tickle yet?"
5. In Medieval England, it was thought that a woman could not get pregnant without having an orgasm. Therefore there was more incentive to get wives off. Can we bring this back, please?
6. Archaeologists discovered a lead tablet from 7th century Cyprus that contained a simple and clear curse: "May your penis hurt when you make love." It was sort of the earliest mean sext.
7. The word avocado is derived from the proto-Aztecan word "Nahuatal." It means testicle.
8. The longest erect penis ever recorded is 13.5 inches long. It belongs to a New Yorker who, sadly, hasn't had a steady relationship in 12 years. Size isn't everything.
9. Getting over a cold? Skip the cough syrup. Masturbating boosts the immune system. Orgasms associated with masturbation are proven to raise self esteem, lower risk of prostate cancer, and promote the production of leukocytes.
10. Having sex for an hour burns just as many calories as jogging for 30 minutes.
11. John Harvey Kellogg, the man who invented Corn Flakes, was deeply involved in the sexual abstinence and anti-masturbation movement. He attempted to make a healthy, balanced cereal that would reduce sexual feelings. For anyone who has ever enjoyed a bowl of the sweet crunchies, you know that he completely failed at curbing America's libido.
12. Reportedly, the highest recorded number of orgasms in an hour for women is 134 and 16 for men. (After a while, ouch.)
13. A reason for facials: the proteins in sperm give it anti-wrinkle properties for skin.
14. If you want to know what the end of a woman's cervix feels like, push your finger on the tip of your nose. Fun.
15. Quit worrying. Women worry much less about penis size than men. 85 percent of women are absolutely fine with the size of their partner's penis. Most women are more preoccupied with personality, grooming, and probably what TV you watch.
16. When aroused during sex, women's breast size can increase by 25 percent.
17. A clitoris has 8,000 nerve endings. It's the only human organ that has evolved solely for pleasure.
18. A reason to swallow: Semen contains zinc and calcium that can help prevent tooth decay.
19. Being well hydrated leads to better orgasms. There's no reason you shouldn't be drinking those 8 glasses of water a day.
20. Loud sex actually makes sex better. Studies have shown that couples who talk during sex (including those who make nonverbal sounds) report better sex lives and more orgasms.
Image via Fox Searchlight.
Get More from Our Sister Sites:
The Ultimate Guide to Sex [The Date Report]
Our Top Picks for Couples’ Sex Toys [Swimmingly]
Give Him the Best Orgasm of His Life: 6 Tips from a Real Guy [The Date Report]
What Your Taste in Music Says About You on a Date [The Date Report]
Stop Telling Single Women They’re Fabulous [The Date Report]