Arizona now soliciting money for border fence

Arizona, continuing on its quest to unseat Florida as the most batshit state in the union, has begun soliciting donations to build a giant fence along the state's border with Mexico.

Though the actual bill authorizing the fence was signed long ago, the authors took a "fuck it" stance when it came to actually figuring out how to pay for the thing, declining to specify exactly how the project was going to be funded. There was some vague talk about using prison labor (what is this, O Brother, Where Art Thou?) and private contractors, but a website accepting donations went live today, which means that Arizona has decided on the noblest way of funding an illogical, racist project: panhandling.

Thankfully, there are some people that acknowledge the utter stupidity of the project: The New York Times found a quote by then-governor Janet Napolitano regarding the fence:

"You show me a 50-foot wall and I'll show you a 51-foot ladder at the border. That's the way the border works."

Napolitano has since been promoted to Secretary of Homeland Security, proving that one of the smartest things an Arizonan can do is leave.

Seriously, though, you can't sum up the problem with this whole fence idea any better than that, and asking people to privately fund it is either going to prove that there are a whole lot of rich, gullible racists or that the citizens of Arizona are smarter than we give them credit for. I hope it's the latter.

Side note: Napolitano's quote has me planning a gritty courtoom drama based on the struggle to get this fence built. I'm calling it The Border. At the end of every episode, the handsomely racist state senator will stare off into the middle distance and deliver the closing line: "That's the way the border works."

Tags Arizona

Jul 20 11 - 12:40pm
Rj

I see nothing batshit or racist about this. It's a fence. On the border. What's your problem? I mean, they were stupid not to find a way to fund it before deciding to build it, but border control is important and people should not be able to go between countries without going through the proper channels.

Jul 20 11 - 1:05pm
right-on

I agree, it's just a fence.

Jul 20 11 - 2:31pm
Right on^2

Yeah, sorry. The people living on the border are rightfully living in fear of their lives. A welfare state with open borders is a recipe for disaster and we're seeing that disaster unfold.

Jul 20 11 - 3:42pm
right-on

My point is - it's just a fence. Let them build it.

As to Right on^2's point - it is a valid consideration. Yes, I agree that the local residents living on the boarder will benefit. The illegal immigrants prevented from attempting a dangerous boarder crossing will also benefit. And,… the fence might be more cost effective than the welfare burden that some (many, most?) of the illegal immigrants are after.

Jul 20 11 - 8:36pm
Texas

Yeah, what a crock of shit. Try living near the border and dealing with the illegal aliens trespassing across your property, threatening your livestock, stealing your goods. It's all well and fine to point and guffaw from 500 miles away, but here in the boonies on the border, it's a horror story. Checkpoint on the social love, and let's start looking after our own, first. Fucking Alex Heigl dimwit.

Jul 20 11 - 9:37pm
C

Perhaps you should learn the difference between the drug cartels and illegal aliens. Most illegal aliens move into the country to do jobs that Americans feel are below them for extremely low wages. They aren't the source of violence along the boarder. That comes from the extremely rich, that often have no intention of ever moving into the united states just smuggling drugs. weapons and people into the country, and if you think a fence in Arizona is going to stop them for a second. Clearly you don't understand the powerful motivation of money.

Jul 20 11 - 11:45pm
okay-then

@C -- yeah, yeah, we know the difference. Now consider this: A fence would help keep out both unsavory elements.

Jul 21 11 - 9:14am
@C

So your argument for not building the fence is to continue to allow a mass influx of low-paid, exploited workers to enter America? Quite the humanitarian.

Jul 21 11 - 6:34pm
Texas

Fuck the humanitarianism. I'm just trying to protect the patch of land and sheep that I have on the Rio Grande. C, don't even try to tell me that it's drug cartels. I face these guys on a regular basis. Their motivations are may be noble, but their actions are brutal. I have to carry a sidearm where ever I go on my spread now, and cannot leave my ranch on day work without a caretaker. So don't even fucking tell me about the powerful motivation of money, you dickless fuck. I live this shit every day, and I'm an American citizen.

Jul 21 11 - 6:43pm
@Texas

Read the whole chain and chill, tough guy.

I'm tired of the immigrants are "poor people trying to improve their lives argument." While it's true they're poor and while I'd do the same thing if they were in our shoes, their lives here suck. They are exploited but don't go to the police. They get cheated but aren't going to go to court. And they're breaking the law which we just can't tolerate.

The answer: Seal the border and let everything stabilize for 12-24 months. If our labor prices shoot out of sight, then we can talk about admitting low-skilled workers. In the meantime, Texas, your ranch should not be overrun. No new illegals will enter just to be exploited. At the end of that period, we can talk about making legalizing those in the country illegally (or not). My guess is that we'd find we really don't have to allow illegal immigration at all.

Jul 22 11 - 12:58pm
Rj

I don't know how this got so off track, but my only point was that border control isn't racist. We have incredibly stringent security for international flights and border crossings for reasons other than keeping illegal immigrants out, which is not an issue I'm addressing. Other than drug cartels and smuggling, you also aren't supposed to pass fruits, seeds, or plants/animals of any kind across any border without permission. Building a fence isn't in and of itself racist, even if you think the main reason is to keep out people who aren't citizens of the United States. This article is ridiculous. They use the word 'racist' three times, 'illogical', 'batshit' and 'utter stupidity'. Could nerve/Alex Heigl defend these words or not use them? I see no backup, no evidence supporting the apparent absurdity of this project, which looks, at worst, to me unplanned.

Jul 23 11 - 9:44am
LiquidCourage

Build the fences, and keep the goddam foreigners out. What is so wrong with that??? All you left wing douches can go live in Mexico.

Jul 24 11 - 5:49am
@RJ

I think Haboob Heigl uses Arizona racism as his cause d'etre, guaranteed to create a buzz. I'd ignore him - his writing is poor and his analysis worse.

Jul 20 11 - 12:40pm
gonzo

This state blows.

Jul 20 11 - 2:31pm
@gonzo

I know you do but what about Arizona?

Jul 20 11 - 8:37pm
gonzo

Sorry, I was talking about the state that I live in, which also houses Alex Heigl, the bleeding heart socialist.

Jul 20 11 - 3:21pm
Michael

Where do you live, Alex Heigl? On or near the border?

Jul 20 11 - 8:33pm
Gringo

Yeah - the south side of on or near the border.

Jul 20 11 - 4:12pm
Bore Durr

Wouldn't it be ironic if a construction company couldn't find enough citizens to build The Great Wall Of Arizona affordably, and had to resort to hiring illegals?

Jul 20 11 - 8:33pm
Boar Der

ROFLMFAO!!!

Jul 20 11 - 5:07pm
humpty jackson

the border is definitely dangerous, yes. there's no denying that, and whether the writer lives there is immaterial. the point is that immigrants are going to continue to pour in--Napolitano's quote is the real issue. A physical barrier is only going to be slightly more preventative as its size increases. People that want to get into the country will.

Jul 20 11 - 8:34pm
humpty dumpty

Not if we build walls alllllll around us everywhere!

Jul 20 11 - 8:59pm
Border State

Undocumented immigrants aren't eligible for welfare or social security. The welfare rolls are checked very carefully. Most undocumented immigrants from Mexico come here to work hard. They don't get paid much, but they do pay payroll taxes. The IRS takes a dim view of tax-evading employers and doesn't care if the workers are documented or not. So undocumented immigrants pay into social security, but aren't eligible to get anything back out. Which means they're paying for your retirement. They do get some benefits, mostly through emergency room care and public education. But most studies say the tax contributions more than offset the costs. So, on a purely economically basis, it's a win.

Jul 21 11 - 9:46pm
@Border State

Good point, BS, but I'm guessing the five (at last count) who were using my SSN probably didn't show up as being illegal. I'm also curious why you think they pay taxes, payroll or any other. I'm aware of contractors in this area who pay in cash from which I seriously doubt taxes are deducted. The studies you allude to are not serious in their impact. There is no attempt to account for increased crime from identity theft or any number of other issues.

Jul 22 11 - 12:09am
Border State

If they're using your SSN it's because their employer needs it for payroll taxes. You know how the IRS just assumes wait staff is getting a certain percentage in tips (since a lot of tips are cash payments with no record)? Well, they do the same for construction businesses and restaurants. Owners can do actual jail time for evading, so they look the other way when the fake SSN's come out. The IRS knows all this (it's not at all hard to spot if you've got the complete database) but as long as they get their money, they don't care. So, yeah, the payroll taxes are being deducted. All this is well documented and not particularly controversial. They're some discussion on whether the taxes very slightly don't cover the associated costs, or whether the taxes are a total economic win.

By the way, the "identity theft" you're referring to isn't the kind where somebody gets ahold of your wallet and credit cards. It's people just making up a SSN on the spot that happens to be your. It's not like they're getting into your bank account or trashing your credit. Non-optimal, but nothing like what people normally think of when they hear about getting their identity stolen.

As to "increased crime"? Undocumented workers have a huge incentive to stay under the radar and keep their noses clean. The stats are unclear (local jails don't keep good records) but what numbers there are indicate that immigrants in general commit fewer crimes. And there's the common sense issue that if you're here to work you fingers to the bone for low pay to send home to your family, you have a huge incentive to stay under the radar and keep your nose clean.

Nice try, though.

Jul 23 11 - 9:45am
LiquidCourage

Waaaaah! Crying douche baby.

Jul 24 11 - 5:54am
@Border State

Yes, I'm well aware of the modality you mention with respect to identity theft. The SSNs are not "[made] up" though, they're compromised from other sources.

Interesting analysis but ultimately wrong. Two of the people using my SSN were receiving food stamps.

Some illegals try to remain below the radar but those who prey on them, not so much. MS13 is a good example of the latter. I assume you've heard of it? "Numbers" indicate that illegals commit fewer crimes than what? The population at large? Nope. Others in the same age group? Unclear.

Nice try, BS.

Jul 21 11 - 11:19am
RaTard

I fail to see anything racist about this. People like you are what is wrong with this country. I call it the PUSSYFICATION of AMERICA factor. Your heart only releases it's bloody contents on the subjects that are destroying this nation, instead of on the ways to fix it.
You play the racist card because we put up a fence to keep ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS out of our country, instead playing the JUSTIFIED BY LAW card for keeping ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS out of the country ILLEGALLY. Wake up, grow up, or shut the FUCK up.

Jul 21 11 - 6:36pm