Daniel Radcliffe

Harry Potter might be one of the best role-models in entertainment these days; he fights evil with steady fortitude. But Daniel Radcliffe? The actor just told British GQ that he struggled with alcohol for much of his late teens. Apparently, while he was filming Half-Blood Prince, in which he prepares for his final battle with Lord Voldemort, he was also fighting a running battle with delicious booze.

Radcliffe, who always seemed like a pretty level-headed kid, all things considered, tells GQ, "There were a few years when I was just enamored with the idea of living some sort of famous person's lifestyle that isn't really suited to me." Whiskey was his poison of choice, and he considers himself lucky to not have been caught by the paparazzi while he was "going off the rails." (Maybe they were too focused on Lindsay Lohan — this was 2009, after all.)

Dodging tabloids, Radcliffe was able to turn his life around quietly. He now enjoys the simpler things in life: "As much as I would love to be a person that goes to parties and has a couple of drinks and has a nice time, that doesn't work for me. I'd rather sit at home and read, or talk to someone I love, or talk to somebody that makes me laugh." So, he's replaced whiskey with a lady, Olive Uniacke, although she's also rumored to enjoy the bottle as well. But according to the interview, he's been clean and sober since August 2010, about the same time he got together with Uniacke. Hopefully they'll engage in healthier activities as a couple; we suggest sex and/or knitting.

Jul 05 11 - 1:48pm
Cool

Good for him. I hope he stays sober and has a successful career. Never been much of a Harry Potter fan but I hate seeing kid actors get screwed up.

Jul 05 11 - 4:33pm
RexMerritt

Radcliffe, my man, you're 21. You're at an age where you're expected to get lit up an do stupid stuff. It's all part of growing up. If you're lucky, you grow out of like the vast majority of adults and laugh the memories later. If not, you become Charlie Sheen. Bottoms up!

Jul 05 11 - 5:53pm
Gin

You can legally drink at the age of 16, those "lit up" moments you speak of happen earlier in the UK. For all you know, he's already gone Sheen and come back.

Jul 08 11 - 2:28am
GeeBee

Legal drinking age is 18 in the UK. Technically at 16 you can have beer or wine but nothing stronger with a meal in a restaurant, if accompanied by an adult, but restaurants tend to refuse that (too damn continental probably). Underage drinking has always been pretty rife though.

Jul 05 11 - 5:08pm
Oblique Strategy

You can only make one dot at a time

Jul 12 11 - 4:14am
NotChristian

Yeah, I wouldn't call this alcoholism, this is being a young person. If he was using alcohol for anything besides getting hammered at parties, then maybe (for example: drowning his sorrows).

Jul 22 11 - 3:36am
Marge

I can't believe you're not playing with me--that was so helupfl.

Jul 22 11 - 6:38am
Tessica

I can't believe you're not plyaing with me--that was so helpful.

Jul 23 11 - 12:21pm
Christiana

Holy szhniit, this is so cool thank you.