stone

You may have been the victim of slut-shaming, but at least you haven't been the victim of slut-stoning. Though if Shamci Rafani had it her way, you could be. The Visalia, California resident is very concerned with the state of our over-sexed, scandal-ridden society, especially with the Sperminator formerly governing her home state. She voiced her proposed solution in a strongly worded letter to the editor in the Visalia Times-Delta. Here's a choice excerpt:

Coming from a different country [Iran] and culture, and specially being a victim of betrayal and infidelity, I will allow myself to put my head where it does not belong.

In many countries, including mine, when a man makes such a mistake as Arnold did and fathers a child, the law makes him be the father and take the responsibility.

But the woman who had been aware of her wrongdoing, and yet had done it without any shame or fear, must be punished severely. Yes, in many countries, the public will stone that woman to death.

Believe me, that might be the right answer to the behavior of these kind of loose women, who want to blame it all on men...

These slut women do not know how to say no. To my judgment, these women who freely sleep with married men must be severely punished and put to death.

No, the Visalia Times-Delta did not replace The Onion as our premiere source of social satire. The paper simply interpreted freedom of the press as "Oh hey, let's print some lady's radical, extremist rantings. That'll fill some pages and sell some papers." I get that there are some very real and very horrifying cultural realities informing her views. I'm just not sure why an otherwise credible publication would choose to print a reader's endorsement of egregious human-rights violations.

Jun 03 11 - 12:19am
Bo Biden

America has imposed its cultural imperialism on the peoples of the Third World for centuries. It is finally time that we acknowledge that the 1.1 Billion Muslims out-number us and that we must adopt their international Law. Multi-culturalism requires America to adopt those ideas which are the basis of (slam. Only a Fundie Christian would not cast the first stone. We must prove to the world that we are NOT back-ward Christians. I've already got a handful of rocks.

Jun 03 11 - 12:29am
Me

Joke?

Jun 03 11 - 10:59am
handicapper

I'm with Bo. Who are we to say that stoning promiscuous women is wrong?

Jun 03 11 - 2:56pm
a woman

Only if I can stone her boyfriend first.

Jun 05 11 - 8:15am
handicapper

@a woman - That's for the culture to decide. Telling another people what to believe is wrong. Get your head out of the sand and embrace the multicultural world, bigot.

Nov 23 11 - 1:52am
jen

are you people insane? American culture once decided that it was okay to own and rape and murder black people. Does that make it okay? It's never okay to harm another individual unless they are harming you (as in self defense-- this does not include frivolous matters of the heart and lust).

Jun 03 11 - 1:45am
BB fan

Look. All I said was "That meal was good enough for Jehovah."

Jun 03 11 - 1:53am
BitchesAintShit

Not too crazy about the stoning to death part,that's a bit much, but I like where she's coming from!

Jun 03 11 - 1:57am
BitchesAintShit

America hasn't imposed shit on anyone,offered,and those who chose to accept it or like it have. And if not? No one really fucking cares either way if you at the mcdonalds or the mosque. Get the facts straight you fuck. Fuck this multi-culturalism stuff because of this shit.

Jun 03 11 - 11:53am
Slothrop

I want the same history book you read. America gives!

Jun 03 11 - 5:46am
Dee

I have come to the conclusion that "BitchesAintShit" is the foremost satirist of our time.

Jun 03 11 - 7:30am
Me

We can only hope.

Jun 03 11 - 9:01am
completely

In my day, trolling was a art.

Jun 03 11 - 3:26pm
Dee

No kidding. What happened to slowly presenting yourself as slightly rational before working everyone into a total lather as the conversation escalated? Now it's just all run and gun, throwing out crazy bullshit at the slightest provocation. People have no sense of STYLE.

Jun 03 11 - 7:31am
Whoa There!

I disagree with the letter writer completely, but printing a letter to the editor is not an "endorsement".

Jun 03 11 - 8:20am
Jessica Gentile

To clarify, of course the paper's not endorsing it - but the letter itself is.

Jun 03 11 - 9:01am
completely

Agreed. And frankly, this /is/ the freedom of speech, in its purest form. Allowing something to be published should never be frowned upon, especially if it's extremist and, to your eyes, abhorrent.

Jun 03 11 - 9:04am
moops

If pot is legalized I bet a lot of people, not just promiscuous women, will be stoned.

Jun 03 11 - 9:39am
tobeytingler

nuhh! ur mom!

Jun 03 11 - 9:08am
Judi Morgan

Send Shamci Rafani back to Iran :)

Nov 23 11 - 1:54am
keff

Sorry, but agreed.

Jun 03 11 - 9:44am
Matt

stoned and promiscuous... I did date a girl like that once, it ended badly

Jun 03 11 - 10:07am
tobeytingler

As much as I hate to admit it, because Im disgusted by the way these monotheist religions treat women, but this writer has a point. These women slept with Arnold knowing full well he was married. That's beyond your garden variety promiscuity, that's intent to hurt; and while it certainly is not cause for stoning to death, it certainly is reason enough to be shamed in the press. Its not like they met some guy on the Internet and found out later he had a wife and kids. Arnold and Maria were one of the most public Hollywood couples for many years. He should be ashamed of himself but so should his mistresses! As for the housekeeper who carried on an affair with Arnold in he and Maria's very own house, really?! What kind of person does something like that but a flat-out sociopath! How could you live with yourself having done that if you were anything other than a sociopath? And to have his lovechild giving no consideration to the childs feelings should the situation come to light (which these things always do) is equally reprehensible in my opinion. Arnold is a philanderer (and a sociopath, just like his mistresses), but the very fact that his carrying-ons went on for so long indicate that these women knew full well what they were doing and had plenty of time to contemplate the hurt they were causing to his family. In essence, you're right it takes two to tango, but the only stoning any American wants to see involves pot!

Jun 03 11 - 10:20am
Claire

It wasn't their job to keep him faithful to Maria. And do you really think that, if whatsername broke up with Arnold, then he would go back to his wife and not cheat?

Jun 03 11 - 11:13am
M

I agree, Claire. Sure, it's hurtful to sleep with a married man, but he's the one that's in a contract with someone else. So it's primarily his fault.

I think the part of this letter that's the most abhorrent (other than the murder part) is the huge inequality in punishments. A man breaks his marriage vows so he has to be responsible and raise the resulting child. A woman sleeps with a married man and she gets killed. It's this inequality and double standard that infuriates me.

Jun 03 11 - 1:03pm
AT

It's only Arnold's fault because he hit on a subordinate- the power imbalance is too great, there is really no way she would have been able to say no and kept her job at the same time.

But I would like to meet the author of this hateful letter and maybe offer her a one-way ticket to Iran, she may enjoy stoning more over there.

Nov 23 11 - 1:59am
keff

Agree with Claires and AT. I honestly can't even believe this is a discussion. The suggestion from the letter's author is so preposterous and disgusting it makes me want to vomit. It does, however, make me feel grateful to be no part of the middle east.

Jun 03 11 - 10:17am
faulknersaysrelax

"And then they were upon her."

Jun 03 11 - 10:47am
Riders On The Stone

If 1 man is messing around with 5 women, it would be more cost-effective to eliminate the 1 rather than the 5. Do you think stones are just lying around everywhere or something?

Jun 03 11 - 11:10am
Gazbo

We do NOT stone people in America, that's primitive, and the writer needs to understand that if she is going to live here.
We SHOOT people in America.

Jun 03 11 - 1:38pm
WTF?

Just a quick fact-check for ya, the Sperminator ain't governing shit right now. Especially not his dick - it just does what it wants..

Jun 03 11 - 7:55pm
SJ

WTF: FTW!!

Jun 03 11 - 4:48pm
Russo

To the nub of this story, you imply the paper has harmed its credibility by printing the letter. It hasn't. It's for the public to debate, endorse or decry the views expressed in the letter. Your re-printing of it here is really nothing but an amplification of their editorial judgement.

Jun 11 11 - 5:56pm
DaTechGuy

I think it's good that it is published, better to know what people think than to pretend we don't

Nov 23 11 - 2:00am
keff

It's really scary to know that people in my country actually think this way. I'm betting a woman didn't actually write the letter though.

Nov 23 11 - 2:07am
thisisBULL

To whoever actually wrote this horrendous "letter," you're a fucking idiot. firstly, there have been mistresses since the beginning of time, it has nothing to do with women's LIBERATION. Second, how dare you blame a fucking maid for probably being raped by her employer. Should we fucking stone the african american slave women who were raped? We don't stone people, we're working to get rid of capital punishment altogether. Killing someone over adultery, especially someone who wasn't even being adulterous, is so preposterous it makes my head spin. Whatever cultures believe this is acceptable behavior I want no part of.

Aug 04 12 - 11:08pm
Szy-q

Stupid. Ignorant, and Evil..... Who ever wrote that letter. Has a sick mind. I bet he thinks he is tuff. Not... Just evil. Oh, Hes pissed now a WOMAN SPOKE HER MIND>>>>>>