same sex marriage

The number of young adults in the United States who have never been married surpassed the number of married people in the same category for the first time in 2009, according to information just released by the Census Bureau. Marriage rates have been in decline for a long time, but 2009's financial recession finally put everyone over the edge. Most twenty-five to thirty-four-year olds choose instead to hang out, date, and wait to tie the knot.

marriage graphIn other words, getting married is too expensive. The expense is less weddings themselves, though those are hardly cheap, and more the expectation that with marriage, comes the need to start acting grown-up - ie. buy a house, have kids, etc. Activities that the twenty-something set -- between all the soul-searching, not-having-insurance, and moving back in with Mom and Dad -- can't afford.

Whether this is a big deal or not varies, depending on who you ask. There is, however, a pleasant irony in the fact that the same people who are most likely to decry the decline of marriage, are the same ones trying to keep all those wedding-crazy young gays from making things official.

Sep 29 10 - 6:02pm
bearman33

I admire David Boies, and the Constitution, but it just doesn't look right, i'm sorry.

Sep 29 10 - 6:25pm
Slazenger

This seems like a positive development. Young people shouldn't get married before the age of 26. Period. Otherwise they make mistakes and miss out on valuable life experience. That's a generalization, but it's also the truth.

Sep 29 10 - 7:06pm
Michael

Slazenger, did you read the article? Its saying that now the 26-34 year olds aren't getting married either. Do you have anything to say about them?

Sep 29 10 - 7:33pm
disapointed

"That's a generalization, but it's also the truth."

O RLY?

Sep 29 10 - 9:43pm
Metallicarulez

METALLICA RULEZ!!!

Sep 29 10 - 9:45pm
bearman33

I don't listen to advice from people named after tennis balls.

Sep 30 10 - 10:15am
Demanda

I haven't read the longer research on this and I'm no marriage advocate (it scares the crap out of me), but the wedding industry is to blame, as well. All you're supposed to need to get married is love, commitment, and paperwork. You don't need the dress, huge event, etc. I'm convinced many people get married because this spectacle is exciting and "the next step." If the economy keeps younger people from getting married for the wrong reasons, I guess I'm okay with that.

Sep 30 10 - 3:07pm
profrobert

I'm surprised because you can get married quite cheaply (have a small ceremony at city hall, like my wife and I did). Moreover, marriage can be a big money saver on things like health insurance. So I'm not sure that finances are driving this change.