Molson Coors is introducing a "female-friendly" beer called Animee in the U.K. this fall, hoping to swell the ranks of British beer-drinking women, which currently hover around seventeen percent. (By contrast, twenty-five percent of American women drink beer.)

The "light, sparkling, finely-filtered beer" will be available in three varieties: clear filtered, crisp rose, and zesty lemon. Molson Coors communications partner Kristy McCready said, "We need to repair the reputation of beer among women by launching products that meet their needs. The brand plan and the product design are feminine and sophisticated without being patronizing."

So there's your corporate speak. You can't blame the company for trying to accommodate different palates. We've seen this reaching out to women before with beers like Carlsberg's Copenhagen and Eve. But does this sit right with women? Molson Coors marketing director Chris McDonough says, "It's important when launching a female beer not to be too patronizing." But isn't it indeed patronizing?

Research by Molson Coors has revealed that factors responsible for such a dearth of suds-pounding women include a lack of education, a surfeit of "gassy rubbish," and unattractive glassware. But the elephant in the brewery, so to speak, has been the disenfranchisement of women from the beer market due to sexist advertising over the past few decades. It's become so deeply ingrained in our culture that it's just accepted, and then beer companies wind up at an economic impasse, and have to concoct these embarrassing beer versions of wine coolers. And it works both ways. What if a manly man likes the sound of an ice-cold, crisp-rose Animee? He either has to deal with the stigma, or joke about being in touch with his feminine side. The whole thing's ridiculous.

Jul 19 11 - 6:53pm
Beer Loving Lady

First they came for the swearing, and I did not speak out because I figured I shouldn't swear anyway. Then they came for the bathroom humor, and I did not speak out because it is a fine art that few master anyway. Then they came for beer, but there was none left, because I drank it all.

Jul 20 11 - 11:22pm
baggio1000000

Here in Halifax,Nova Scotia Canada, I'm sure the percentage of women beer drinkers is higher, but still most prefer wine or coolers. I do love my beer!
www.lowestpricesreview.com/

Jul 19 11 - 7:26pm
Ryan

Let me say that, as someone who loves beer, I think that everyone should have a refined enough palate to tell the difference between an ale and a stout. Women included. The sad truth is that a lot of people don't.
If making a sweet and fruity beer is "Patronizing" to woman, that's fucking stupid. I love drinks that don't register on the IBU scale just as much as your average sorority girl. If people aren't willing to take the time to appreciate beer, I'm not going to force them.

Jul 19 11 - 8:53pm
@Ryan

But stouts are ales, given that the both use top fementing yeast. Did you mean an ale and a lager?

Jul 19 11 - 9:56pm
@ @Ryan

nerd.

Jul 20 11 - 8:18am
KingPellinore

There are only two types of beer: Ales and Lagers. Ales are fermented at more or less room temperature with "top fermenting" yeast (mostly). Lagers take more time. They are fermented at lower temperatures with "bottom fermenting" yeast (mostly), then stored ("lager" comes from the German word for "to store") at near freezing temperatures to cause the yeast and other suspended particles to settle to the bottom, out of the beer. This is why lagers tend to be clearer and crisper tasting, while ales tend to be more complex in flavor.

Every beer is either an ale or a lager. And yes, a stout is an ale.

Jul 20 11 - 10:23am
@KP

I agree with everything you said but not everyone recognizes the top fermenting = ale, bottom fermenting = lager. Sour beers, for instance, are somewhat skew from this, although they generally use ale yeast. Also, steam beer - an American original - uses lager yeast but ale temperatures and durations.

Jul 20 11 - 11:25am
KingPellinore

Yep, which is why I added the "mostly" qualifiers when I made those statements. If I were to get too far into explaining beer, we'd be here all day.

Jul 20 11 - 2:16pm
@KP

A good beer discussion would class the site up.

Jul 20 11 - 9:14pm
nogahide

I'll drink to that!!

Jul 19 11 - 8:41pm
huh?

Isn't that what we have Smirnoff for?

Jul 19 11 - 8:54pm
Goggles

Damn it. When I saw the title of the article, I assumed this was a beer that made the woman drinking it look hotter thus avoiding my inevitable hangover when I have to drink her hot.

Jul 19 11 - 11:06pm
ER

For all those who think this is a ridiculous idea... Do you know what the #1 growth alcoholic beverage has been this year? "Skinny Girl" pre-made margaritas.

Jul 20 11 - 12:01am
What?!

As a feminine gal who, left to my baser nature, could spend every night with a case of really shitty domestic beer drinking myself into bad ideas, I am baffled that anyone needs coaxing. I am friends with some classy dames and they all love some beer. Who are these beer snobs?!

Jul 20 11 - 12:35am

Totally agree! The only girls I know that won't drink beer refuse it because they like something stronger.

Jul 20 11 - 8:58am
girlJ

If you feel prompted to specify that you're not being patronizing, then you're being patronizing.

Jul 20 11 - 9:27am
Marketeer

There's already tobacco for women (Virginia Slims) and firearms for women (pink guns) so why not alcohol for women?

Jul 20 11 - 2:17pm
@Marketeer

Every case of Animee should come with a pack of Virginia Slims and a pink handgun in the box. You, sir, are a marketing genius.

Jul 20 11 - 9:28am
abc

And this points out some of the additional problems. All of you, get over yourselves.

Jul 20 11 - 3:23pm
Jenn

Real women drink real beer, none of this pansy crap.

Jul 20 11 - 9:37pm
julian.

Cool. I guess? Um, yeah.

Jul 20 11 - 11:27pm
fairlyunbalanced

Most women will not, do not drink beer for two reasons... it makes them fart and makes them FAT. Review your use cases, Molson.