In an installment of Dateline last week, a girl self-identified as a "demisexual," which means she needs a strong emotional connection in order to feel attracted to a person. In our latest Nerve poll, we asked how much of an emotional connection you need in order to feel a spark or tingle in your nether regions. Turns out, being a demisexual isn't the norm: 24% answered, "Not much - physical attraction is immediate, emotional connection can follow." Guys, I feel you. Emotions make me sleepy.

27% answered, "A strong one, the physical attraction always follows the emotional one for me." One reader commented, "I envy you casual sex people, I really do." If you ever figure out how to turn off those emotions, let me know. We can be each other's wingman!

And lastly, 48% answered "At least a little one - I like to know our intimacy is more than physical." There you have it! Most people prefer someone who they can naked tango with and talk to. The rest of us are divided between people who just want someone to stare at and people who seek partners to use their strong emotional bonds for powering Oujia boards.

If you're looking for a demi-hottie or a demi-someone-with-like-minded-interests, you can find them on Nerve.

May 31 12 - 7:54pm
Wow

This is amazing. You're saying that Dateline is actually still on the air?

May 31 12 - 11:47pm
True Patriot

As is so often the case, the question oversimplifies the issue. There's a difference between "I find that person attractive" and "I think it's an excellent idea to invite that person into my bed."

Jun 01 12 - 6:49pm
H

Very true. I can be sexually attracted to a man regardless of emotional connection. However, I have to feel an emotional connection to enjoy sex/kissing/touching.

Jun 02 12 - 2:52pm
SS

Ditto. Being sexually attracted to a man doesn't mean I want to sleep with him. Sex requires faaaaaar more than just 'sexual attraction' for me. Doesn't mean that I need to be in love, but I'm definitely not into casual sex.

Jun 01 12 - 2:29pm
Hmm

Doesn't tell much as it could with it not broken down by gender as well. If nearly all of the "Not Much" level are male (or nearly all are female, though I'd guess male), it would be a much more interesting set of graphs.

Jun 01 12 - 8:33pm
??

Guess I misread the question - I answered "not much" because I thought not much encompassed at least being able to have a conversation with the person, but according to you guys, that's some kind of a stronger emotional connection?

Jun 01 12 - 11:58pm
Thinkywritey

It used to take a lot less... Am I growing up?

Jun 05 12 - 2:17pm
JCB

NONE. I can be sexually attracted to people I actively hate. Doesn't mean I'm going to act on it though.