The Daily Beast called upon Richard Florida, director of the University of Toronto's Martin Prosperity Institute, to give them the skinny on where the party is on New Year's Eve.
And his results were startlingly ironic. "If you're a guy, you should consider booking a ticket for New York City, where there are more single women than single men." So far, so good… right? Wrong: "All the single ladies, to quote Beyonce, should avoid New York and the East Coast in general and head West — to L.A."
He got his figures through a few sources, including National Geographic and the American Community Survey. In fact, his findings seem to be timeless, with the New Year's Eve thing simply being an SEO-friendly way to frame the data. Nonetheless, here are the rest of his results:
Best Places to be a Single Man on New Year’s Eve
1. New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island 149,219
2. Washington-Arlington-Alexandria 48,177
3. Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington 30,929
4. Baltimore-Towson 26,575
5. Boston-Cambridge-Quincy 16,192
6. Memphis, Tennessee 12,856
7. St. Louis, Missouri 11,639
8. Cleveland-Elyria-Mentor, Ohio 8,694
Best Places to be a Single Woman on New Year’s Eve
1. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana 111,470
2. Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale 88,288
3. San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos 64,295
4. Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, California 59,498
5. Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, Texas 55,816
6. Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown 53,273
7. Seattle-Tacoma, Bellevue 48,401
8. Las Vegas-Paradise 47,255
Those large, punctuated numbers are the "surplus" tallies of single females compared to males, and vice versa. Good luck catching one of them!