Fear not, Time hasn't taken the route of shock sites from the deep web and released this cover (a three-year-old boy suckling on the breast of his mother, in case you're reading this aloud to your coworkers) to make us angry, but rather to raise questions about "Attachment Parenting."

Attachment parenting involves long-term breast-feeding, sleeping with your child for an extended period of time, and "baby wearing," where your infant is literally attached to you. (You hear that, chihuahuas-in-pink-purses? You're officially outdated.) Now, typically, a child is supposed to be weaned off breast-feeding after a year or two — anything after that falls under the category of "extended," or "spooky-weird." A quick internet search on the subject led me to some pretty heinous results. Of course, after I turned on SafeSearch, I found some less heinous results — as it turns out, breast milk is nutritious, improves dental health, raises your I.Q., and is a natural immune system booster. The more you know.

Contrary to what I thought I'd find on the internet, some of the only harmful side-effects are weird sideways glances and that pesky stigma... especially if you practice super-duper-extended breast-feeding and let your eight-year-olds suckle away.

Really, this just seems to be the latest over-analyzed trend in parenting. Just as the whole Tiger Mom thing was in the news a while back, "attachment parenting" is going to be buzzy for a little while, and then it'll disappear. That said, that picture still can't be unseen. Weirdest boner ever.

May 10 12 - 12:17pm
fishstix

I thought the title was 'Mother of the Year?!'

May 10 12 - 12:55pm
mr. man

wow, i didn't see that coming.

May 10 12 - 12:55pm
profrobert

Look at the terror in that child's eyes.

Also, on a more serious note, breastfeeding is actually recommended up to age 2.

May 10 12 - 1:41pm
Indy

Warning to mothers: This kills any enjoyment you receive from men sucking on your nipples later in life.

Source: My girlfriend :(

May 11 12 - 8:31am
Halcyon

Not true for me and I nursed both of my kids until they were close to 2. Having my nipples played with and sucked now is great. During the nursing, I didn't like it, so maybe that is your girlfriend's issue.

May 10 12 - 2:58pm
MILF

Indy: the situation woun't necessarily continue forever. Source: myself

May 10 12 - 6:53pm
Indy

I hope all Mothers I like to Fuck remain this positive. ;)

May 10 12 - 4:22pm
Kenni

I can understand wanting to give a child the benefits of breast milk, but do they have to get it straight from the tap? Why not just pump?

May 11 12 - 8:57am
MothersMilk

Because pumping is a big pain in the ass, I reckon.

May 10 12 - 6:29pm
Dea

I think the idea of this photo coming back to haunt this kid in 10 years or so is probably more the danger here than extended breastfeeding.

And profrobert is correct, the U.N./WHO does recommend breastfeeding until age 2, because in many countries that gives infants the best chance at full and proper nutrition. The proper nutrition thing is supposedly more of a problem in developing countries due to poverty, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was an issue in the U.S. too, given the junk I see some parents feed their kids.

May 10 12 - 10:14pm
LD

Newsweek is basically a tabloid now. Attatchment Parenting doesn't have to be extreme. In fact, according to Dr Sears, the first rule of Attatchment Parenting is, if something causes resentment- don't do it.

May 11 12 - 6:34am
Hampton

It's Time, not Newsweek

May 11 12 - 8:55am
Bam!

May 11 12 - 4:50am
Niel Malan

The kid doesn't need breastfeeding. He's already overweight.

May 13 12 - 7:17pm
...

You must be one of those people from the circus who can guess people's weight just by looking at them, huh? Does it make a difference if you see them in person vs. a photo? How about guessing over the phone, can you do that?

May 12 12 - 1:08pm
Reality2

This is some sick ass shit. That kid should be taken by CPS and put in protective custody. The "mother" should be arrested.

May 13 12 - 12:45am
Marilyn

I think it is the most distasteful cover they have ever printed!!!Surely they could have found another way to show the subject matter .

May 16 12 - 1:19am
zac55

I dug into the scientific literature, not this mysteriius 2 yr mantra tgat has become so popular to spout because AAP said so. The 2yr thing from WHO is stated as a minimum btw. But apparently numerous studies are showing real benefits for breast feeding past the mythical 2. Gibson et al 2005 journal of nutrition even found positive effects in a sttudy in the philli pines (where boobs aren't evil apparently) for brest feeding up to 8 yrs old.....okay that is weird.