If you had walked outside this weekend, you would have found the streets as empty and desolate as the island of Manhattan in I Am Legend. I say "if you had" since I know you didn't, because literally everyone in the world was inside, seeing Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. The film has broken every box-office record for openings in the U.S., and will probably end up with a gross that dwarfs the GDP of several island nations:

“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2,” from Time Warner Inc.’s Warner Bros. Pictures, earned an estimated $168.6 million at 4,375 North American locations, beating the $158.4 million earned in 2008 by “The Dark Knight,” which opened at 4,366 locations...

Based on the second half of the seventh and final novel in J.K. Rowling’s best-selling “Harry Potter” series, “Deathly Hallows 2” earned $43.5 million from midnight screenings in 3,800 locations early Friday morning. It ended the day with a record-breaking $92.1 million, surpassing the previous single-day record of $72.7 million earned by “The Twilight Saga: New Moon” in 2009.

The film also cleaned up oversees, garnering nearly twice its weekend haul in the fifty-nine countries it was shown. An executive from Warner Brothers, the studio which produced the Harry Potter series, called the moment "bittersweet," which sounds emotional and almost touching, but which probably means "I am so happy I have so much money but kind of sad that this cash cow has made its way to the abattoir."

And if you were one of the many who saw the film this weekend, and now feel like another piece of your childhood has slipped away forever in the unrelenting stream of time, remember: on the internet, nothing ever really dies. We'll be swimming in YouTube parodies alone for at least two decades.

Jul 18 11 - 9:47am
Dollarz

To what extent are these dollar figures adjusted for inflation? Or does Follywood not think that way?

Jul 18 11 - 10:17am
JamesBradyRyan

They are almost certainly not -- nor, I believe, are rising ticket charges taken into account. So this isn't to say HPATDH had the biggest audience, necessarily. (I think, though I don't have sources handy, that honor goes to Snow White or Gone With the Wind.)

Jul 18 11 - 10:53am
pfft

The actual measure should be tickets sold.
Did "Harry Potter and his 10" Wand" actually surpass "Gone With the Wind" in attendance?

Even among current releases the extra $$ paid to view the 3D version skews the numbers in favor of 3D over 2D due to different ticket prices.

Jul 18 11 - 11:28am
completely

But if they did it that way, they couldn't break meaningless box-office records every fucking year!

Jul 18 11 - 11:34am
CADavidson

If you are interested in box office figures, inflation adjustments, etc. go to www.boxoffice.com. This trade oriented site has all of the box office records parced several ways. As it happens, Dark Knights opening weekend adjusted for inflation is around $173m. at $168m unadjusted it is already the 169th top grossing film of all time (ahead of Quantum of Solace.) Adjusted it doesn't yet hit the top 250.

As far as GWTW, Potter won't even come close considering that GWTW Was released and rerelased over a dozen times since it's 1939 release.

Jul 19 11 - 2:09am
The1MsHBIC

I loved Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows 2. I believe that this movie sales will surpass every other movie. It has already broken records and it's just opening weekend.
follow me on twitter @The1MsHBIC