News

Amy Winehouse died from an alcohol overdose, or “Death by Misadventure”

Pin it

Amy Winehouse

A coroner has officially ruled Amy Winehouse's death in July to be a "Death by Misadventure," a roundabout term for an alcohol overdose. An inquest found that the "Rehab" singer "had consumed sufficient alcohol… and the unintended consequence of such potentially fatal levels was her sudden and unexpected death." 

Though she had quit drinking two weeks before her passing, Winehouse relapsed the week of her death, and was found with 416mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood in her system, more than five times the legal limit in the U.K. There were also three empty bottles of vodka found in her room at the time of her death.

However, the hearing did confirm that Winehouse hadn't taken drugs since 2008, and her doctor testified that she was "very determined" to quit drinking as well, though resistant to therapy and traditional forms of treatment.

So, for those who were looking for it, some sad (though largely unsurprising) closure on Winehouse's untimely death.