I can't quite wrap my head around the fact that Katy Perry, queen of glitter and bizarre facial expressions, has tied Michael Jackson in anything music-related, but it's true. Katy Perry's latest single, "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.), has hit number one on the Billboard Hot 100 list, making this her fifth number one hit from her current record, "Teenage Dream." Michael Jackson is the only other recording artist in the fifty-three year history of the Billboard Hot 100 chart to have achieved the same number of hits off a single album ("Bad").

“Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)” ousted LMFAO’s "Party Rock Anthem” from the top spot, if that gives you any idea of the caliber of her competition. Here are some sample lyrics from this record-setting masterpiece:

Pictures of last night
Ended up online
I'm screwed
Oh well
It's a blacked out blur
But I'm pretty sure it ruled
Damn

I had, mercifully, entirely avoided this song and music video until writing this piece. And after watching it I'm more perplexed than anything else. The video's a sprawling, "ironic," '80s-themed high-school party, replete with Ms. Perry in braces and headgear. Perry's popularity doesn't make much sense to me. If any current pop star ought to be setting records, it's Lady GaGa. All I can hear is a voice-over of Michael Bluth: "Her?"

Aug 18 11 - 9:49am
blahblah

I think you're taking it way to seriously, music today is a lot more accessible than it was 20 years ago, so Michael Jackson achieving 5 number one hits means that a lot of people got out and bought the singles, today it just means they clicked "buy" on iTunes. not that of a big deal...

Aug 18 11 - 9:49am
blahblah

and the Michael Bluth reference made my day :)

Aug 18 11 - 10:08am
thinkywritey

Am I, like, really really really...really old that I'm bothered by how often I'm seeing blackout drunkenness celebrated in song lately?

Aug 18 11 - 3:11pm
EMK

OMG! I feel exactly the SAME way....like anyone who's actually been blackout drunk would know it is the most UNFUNNY thing ever. Not to mention that these songs are marketed to tweens too...really disturbs me.

Aug 18 11 - 11:24am
MeanMrMustard

"If any current pop star ought to be setting records, it's Lady GaGa."
Wow...Just, wow.
Don't get me wrong, Katy Perry's music is uninspired crap. Lady Gaga's music is uninspired crap in slightly weirder clothes.

Jun 22 12 - 7:24pm
satine

How is Katy Perry's music uninspired crap? If you actually listen to the words there is meaning to it. Not to mention these songs are written by her based on her life. She is an amazing person and I do believe she belongs where she is. Lady Gaga I have no problem with but as for being by Jackson's side...no way..Oh and Last friday night wasn't her blackout drunk. Yes she talked about drinking but in no way does she say she was blackout drunk. Just because she talks about forgetting some things doesn't mean she was blackout drunk. That can happen from drinking a certain amount anyway. Doesn't mean you have to be blackout drunk to forget what happened.

Aug 18 11 - 12:24pm
anon

let's be honest, it's not like Michael Jackson was the end-all-be-all everybody likes pretending he was now that he's dead. he had a good voice and was a good dancer, but he ended up being a total freakshow and the majority of his later albums didn't sell at all. also, for the most part dj's stay away from his songs in sets because they're too soft to be danceable to most crowds. just because he sold a lot of albums doesn't mean he's super-awesome... it means he sold a lot of albums.

Aug 18 11 - 12:42pm
krod

Honestly, I feel like during hard economic times, the most poppy, crappy shit makes the top ten because people don't want to feel more down. This could be totally wrong, but I do remember from about 1990-1993 or so, during that crappy economy there was a lot of bad music making the top charts, too. Of course I was about 11, so I thought it was all awesome.

Aug 18 11 - 3:38pm
lolwut

Nirvana? Wu-Tang Clan (36 Chambers dropped in '93)? My Bloody Valentine? You're making baby Jesus cry. The early '90s were AWESOME for music. And actually, a lot of the good stuff was made in economically-depressed areas.

Aug 19 11 - 11:40am
krod

Never said there wasn't good music made at that time as well...I said a lot of bad music was making the top ten. Calm down.

Aug 18 11 - 1:12pm
mr. man

Katy Perry is the pretty girl (but not really as pretty as she thinks she is) who thinks she's hilarious, but is actually just not particular bright or interesting. It's TITilation without actually being sexy. The first time I saw a picture of her fantastic ass I was wanted to have it for lunch. But now the sight of her actually turns me off.

Aug 18 11 - 7:13pm
15 mins up yet?

Gaga is at least setting unofficial records. Like how many different people can 1 artist rip off.

Aug 19 11 - 8:40pm
shoot me

how can anyone stand the sound of this utter garbage??????????

Aug 29 11 - 10:29pm
Coltin

Whoa, tinghs just got a whole lot easier.

Sep 03 11 - 1:59am
Positive Individual

I am a huge katy perry fan and im glad that she has 5 NUMBER ONE HITS off her current album.. People need to stop hatin on her shine and let her enjoy her moment... The girl is musically talented and has vocals that are amazing.. I dont think her music is bad at all, all of her songs dont send out good messages, but they dont send out bad messages either... if u really think about it, half the artist in the music industry dont send out positive messages, even the people you all listen.. so relax and stop bein HATERS.

Sep 15 11 - 5:33pm
Nora

I like how everyone who disagrees with something is called a "H8TER!"
We aren't haters, Positive Individual, you are just delusional.

Dec 10 11 - 2:35pm
Nathan Dann

Delusion is the best state of mind... for it has found a home.

Jan 05 12 - 2:14am
billcanada

I dont see how you can compare between the digital era and non digital era. Yes Michael Jackson started early and yes you can click on itune and buy Katy's album so what? The point is their music is interesting. Elvis was not favorite for many people at his time when he moved/danced and yet his albums are still being bought by people. I dont see you producing good music so dont say their music is crap. You need to know what music is first to evaluate not because you want to say shit about theirs.