Hillary Clinton and Sarah Palin.

Ever since you lost your bid to become president of your middle school's French club to that stupid pretty boy Brian Henderson, whom you hate, you've had an inkling that politics are little more than a hot-or-not contest. And one study kind of confirms this, claiming that conservative politicians are more attractive than liberal ones. The study, which asked Americans and Britons to rate Finnish politicians based on their looks, went on to observe that the attractive candidates tended to benefit from a "beauty premium" in the voting booth.

How do they explain this phenomenon? They can't, but they have a theory:

"People who are seen or consider themselves to be beautiful tend to be more anti-egalitarian and hence more attracted to right-wing politics. ... Good-looking people are more likely to perceive the world as a just place (since they are treated better than others) — and are therefore inclined to embrace conservative opinions."

The researchers have extrapolated their findings to make a general observation about The Way We Live Now: "Our study and previous research confirms the effects of beauty in Western culture are universal." That "previous research" found that "in the business world... better-looking people earn an average of fifteen per cent more than those deemed less attractive," which means that Brian Henderson is still out there somewhere, being better than me you.

Mar 02 11 - 6:37pm
profrobert

Isn't this consistent with the observation that good-looking people are dumber than ugly people? Pretty-Stupid-Republican goes hand-in-hand with Ugly-Smart-Democrat, right?

Mar 02 11 - 10:08pm
JamesBradyRyan

You're going to have to explain George Clooney to me, then, ProfRobert.

Mar 06 11 - 12:23am
Impulse

Without getting into the accuracy of the initial proposal, specific people don't disprove general trends.

Mar 07 11 - 12:57pm
Wolfepack64

Actually a study in the journal of science three months ago showed that Liberals are gentically defective and demonstrably less intelligent than their conservative coutnerparts. So actually it is ugly dopey democrats vs, intelligent attractive conservatives.

Mar 07 11 - 1:49pm
elmerjohnson

What are we to make of Jan Brewer? Smart and beautiful?.........

Mar 02 11 - 7:09pm
julian.

Well, how about that.

Mar 02 11 - 7:18pm
Gazbo

Everybody keeps saying how "hot" Sarah is, but she looks like a frozen mackerel to me; cold as ice, and just as stiff.
Wouldn't do her with my dog's dick.

Mar 02 11 - 7:43pm
Looking Back

Gotta agree with Gazbo. These contrived plastic looks are not something I'd consider "hot."

Jan 05 12 - 7:27pm
LiquidCourage

I'd fuck her, but I wouldn't vote for her.

Mar 02 11 - 8:06pm
DuaneBidoux

What an idiotic article. First of all Clinton in this photo is about 20 years older than Palin. What would you expect. Check out her photos from the campaign in the early 90s. Sorry, she was way the hell hotter than Palin is now.

Something else I would guarantee is that most women, without knowing the politics of the man, would vote both Pres. Obama and Pres. Clinton far better looking than either Sr. or Jr. Bush. DATA? Any here anywhere?

I'm also assuming you can only get this to work if you take out virtually all of the gorgeous left leaning stars from Hollywood? This is a stupid article.

Mar 02 11 - 9:45pm
colbert

DuaneBidoux, did you even read the article and the links or just flip out over the picture? First of all, politicians don't wait until they're the same age to run against one another (because that's, you know, impossible unless they're the same age), and that's not even the point — the point is that the more attractive one is preferred by voters, regardless of age, and it seems the attractive ones tend to be conservative.

Second, you can follow the links to the DATA, which covers Finnish, not American, politicians, presumably because their politics would be unknown to Americans.

Finally, most "gorgeous left leaning stars from Hollywood" aren't elected officials, they're just gorgeous left-leaning stars from Hollywood.

Mar 07 11 - 1:50pm
elmerjohnson

And Jan Brewer..................................

Mar 02 11 - 9:33pm
parrot

Fine, I'll stipulate that righties are hotter than lefties. Yes, I would rather doink Palin. However, I'd rather Clinton be in charge of the world, in a heartbeat, than Caribou Spice. And I'd rather crack a beer with Hillary or have a talk with her or trust her with my countries' future, too.

Mar 03 11 - 1:21pm
Bob

Then you are dumb

Mar 06 11 - 10:23pm
PoggeB

Then there is Glenn Beck who is as doughy and weepy a specimen of a man as exsists. Not a pol, but clearly a party leader. Of course fugly right-wing guys have one huge advantage, a lot of Conservative women are very attracted to bankrolls so there is always hope...

Mar 02 11 - 10:21pm
S

Right-wing women are just more groomed, which is probably because they believe more deeply in rigid gender roles. They're fashion over function.

Mar 02 11 - 10:40pm
IG

agree. I am surprised no one mentioned this - the theory that conservatives believe more strongly in traditional gender roles and are more likely to be that way.

Also- conservative men hotter than liberal men? Don't think so...

Mar 02 11 - 10:48pm
S

I'm actually more uncomfortable with politicians who seem to care a lot about being "hot" or pretty. I mean, I can deal with Stephen Harper's hair obsession, but Sarah Palin is a good example of a woman who obviously prioritizes her looks, and who, if you asked her, would defend that as something all women should do and say something about how just 'cause she's powerful doesn't mean she has to have frizzy hair, or something. I want my politicians to be old, look it, and also look like they've been styled hurriedly by someone else who picks their suits because they themselves don't have time to.

Mar 06 11 - 10:33pm
PoggeB

They had that survey where women were given the choice between something like twenty IQ points and being 20% more attractive. I wonder how that one broke down along party lines. Pelosi got a lot of attention for having "work " done because it is kind of rare among non-Hollywood lefties. Joker smiles...ewww.

Mar 07 11 - 1:51pm
elmerjohnson

When is last time you looked at Jan Brewer?

Mar 02 11 - 10:42pm
IG

oops. should say "more likely to be GROOMED that way"

Mar 03 11 - 2:07am
Kari

Really "S"? I'm pretty sure Michelle Obama is a far better example of a woman who "obviously prioritizes her looks". She spends an absurd amount of OUR money on her fashion choices, hairstyles, makeup, the whole works. She has TWENTY-TWO personal assistants. Let me repeat that. TWENTY-TWO. Which by the way, costs Americans $1.75 MILLION DOLLARS PER YEAR IN TAXES!!!!!!!

I guess she really needs all the help she can get...

Mar 03 11 - 2:31am
S

The first lady isn't an elected politician. She can look however she likes.

Mar 03 11 - 9:56am
Kari

And use your hard earned money while she's at it?

Mar 06 11 - 10:34pm
PoggeB

Seriously Kari, you can google the facts easily enough. There is no excuse for repeating outright lies.

Mar 03 11 - 1:25pm
anon

Are you sure they're not confusing "hotness" with "a desire to get them to shut their mouths by any means necessary including my own personal body parts?"

Mar 03 11 - 4:13pm
Diann

I guess that depends on if you find stupid sexy.

Mar 03 11 - 6:00pm
Bryan

Totally ripped off from Christwire.org

Mar 03 11 - 9:21pm
davenyc

Ok sow how do they explain Margaret Thatcher on the right, or all the leftwing hotties in Hollywood. This study come from the 'institute of took it out of my ass'

Mar 04 11 - 9:41pm
Mikednjvnujd

The title of this article is "Conservative politicians hotter than liberal ones, says science". They are narrowing it down to politicians, and eliminating Hollywood examples. Female conservative politicians are usually hotter than female liberal politicians. My theory is that conservatives value the appearance of their leaders over their intelligence.

Mar 05 11 - 5:32am
sherrychicago

Yes, I agree about the intelligence part. I think the rich wizards pulling strings behind the curtain are the real Republican "leaders." They just "hire" clean-cut, attractive actors like Reagan, anchorwomen, atheletes, Evangelicals, ex-service men, etc. to run for office. They want candidates who look good in a suit & can remember to always parrot Republican talking points, or they're asked to leave. Now days they all look alike--brunette, long faces, mostly failed lawyers & their 1st or last name is usually "Scott."

Sarah Palin will never make it into any political job of importance. She's too poorly educated to understand what she's supposed to say. Her only use is as a cheerleader for the far right, sort of like a nicer, more normal version that skinny, blonde, old-maid, conservative author the who thinks she's so hot--what's her name--Ann Coulter. (We don't hear much from her anymore since Palin came along.)

Oh, by the way--Palin is NOT attractive. Her nose is beaky & her jaw is nearly as big as Jay Leno's. Her hair is strictly Audrey Hepburn 1966--sort of like what girls wore to prom that year. Yes, she does have a nice body, but she dresses like a tart, not a respectable "Christian" political woman. Where is her white pearl necklace? And how come she couldn't wait until her kids were older to run for office? Some Christian mother!

Oh, & what about that funny-looking Michelle Bachman. She'd be pretty if she wasn't cross-eyed. (I think she's trying to look spiritual, with her eyes cast heavenward, but she just looks crazed.)

Ugly old guys like Cheney & Kissinger & multimillionaires are the ones with real Republican power. I feel so sorry for my fellow middle-class Americans, who can't understand that they've been used by the Republican Party for so long to enable greedy Republicans & their wealthy patrons to succeed in their agenda of enslaving us to multimillionaires who are not loyal to our great country, only themselves. Hey you independants, please think twice before you vote for another Republican idealogue like Scott Walker & you Democrats don't sit out the next election just because you're mad at Obama. God help the United States of America.

Mar 06 11 - 10:38pm
PoggeB

Bachmann has had her eyes done. That is why she looks so odd. Skin is too tight. Ann Coulter always slayed me-no husband, no children and yet-a darling of the family values set. Not that I think she had all that much to add to the gene pool except pure meaness.

Oct 20 11 - 1:09pm
LT

I know, the Coulter thing actually makes me laugh. A woman who makes a career going around telling other women not to have one. Plus she looks like a transexual. If that's the conservative idea of hot, it sure explains why so many of them are closet cases.

Mar 05 11 - 12:50pm
Dave F.

Wait, let me get this straight: Researchers did a study the basically said, "Judge this book by it's cover" and unsurprisingly, people judged it by the cover, rather than the contents.

So this proves that liberals actually read books, and conservatives look at the cover and decide what to think about it based on the title. Sounds about right to me.

Oct 20 11 - 1:07pm
LT

Exactly right.

Mar 05 11 - 1:16pm
Michelle

They have to worry about their looks...liberals are better in bed, less hung up and freakier ;-)

Oct 20 11 - 1:07pm
LT

Good point. And not only that, they CARE a lot more about what they look like and put much more time into looking good.

This "study" is completely asinine, however. Pls explain why almost all of Hollywood is liberal then...

Mar 05 11 - 7:48pm
Larry

Someone has too much time on their hands to write a pointless article.

Apr 11 11 - 9:51pm
Arron

Well since liberalism is the most pervasive mental disorder around I suspect their insanity is what makes Dems so freakin fugly. Take a look at Pelosi, Weiner and especially Henry Waxman!