Today is the seventieth anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor, a dark day in U.S. history that led directly to our involvement in World War II. (It also led to that terrible Ben Affleck movie. The hurt just keeps on coming.) But it seems that not everyone in our fair nation condemns this heinous act. In fact, elite D.C. private school Sidwell Friends apparently decided to show their support for the Imperial Japanese Army with a pan-Asian lunch menu. Behold:

And who do we know who goes to Sidwell Friends? Oh, that's right: notorious Axis defenders Sasha and Malia Obama. Naturally, conservative outlets like the Drudge Report picked up on this — giving it space right under its coverage of a veterans' memorial service, in fact — and lots of people seem quite upset! Here are a few indicative comments:

"Sounds like they must be getting a great education, too....effing STUPID!!! And to use a phrase the insane left throws out "It's INSENSITIVE"!!!!!!"

"Can't wait for the halal on prayer rugs next Sept 11...... mmmm. Tasty."

"Hahahahaa, nothing the Liberals do now shocks me anymore. Normally on Veteran's Day the President hangs around with the VFW, Barack Hussien Obama aka Barry Soetoro, or whatever his name is now, was nowhere to be seen."

The school has already made a statement about how an outside contactor handles their (randomized) cafeteria schedule, and it in no way meant for the food its students will spend all of twenty minutes picking at to be a statement about Pearl Harbor. And I will make a statement about how "Szechuan Tofu" is a Chinese dish (at least nominally) and China was our ally in WWII. But history and geography are hard while lazy racism is so easy! (Pretty sure Barbie said that.) So you can't really blame people for being upset.

Dec 07 11 - 4:13pm
What???

It's the Classic Spinach Salad that really chaps my ass! Other than that, it almost all looks Chinese to me.

Dec 07 11 - 4:26pm
JRB

I have a conservative cousin. I took her out to sushi and she wanted to make sure they didn't put dog in her food.

Dec 08 11 - 11:19am
fido

sounds like she wanted to avoid cannibalism

Dec 07 11 - 4:41pm
Doofus

My high school, back in the 90's, had a "soul food" day for Black History Month: ribs, fried chicken, collard greens, cornbread.

I still don't know how they got away with that.

Dec 07 11 - 4:48pm
Oh man

That sounds yummy. wel... the chicken and cornbread anyhow.

Dec 07 11 - 5:10pm
nn

I don't get it. "Soul food" isn't a bad thing, it's traditional southern food and it's effing delicious. It's also an important part of black history. I don't know that many people who'd be offended.

Dec 07 11 - 5:38pm
eva

"Soul food" is poor, southern people food. God I'd love some greens right now.

Dec 07 11 - 8:43pm
Hong Gen-Wah

Me, too! Only recently here in CA did the local mega-grocery start stocking collards, and a smoked jowl is a trip to a specialty butcher. But it's worth it, just for the pot likker.

Dec 07 11 - 4:47pm
D

Last time I checked Szechuan was in China, who were allied with us.

Dec 07 11 - 4:53pm
Rain

Maybe a Hawaiian menu would have been more appropriate. It would be nice if they commemorated Hiroshima and Nagasaki with a Japanese menu, though. Neither event should be forgotten.

Dec 08 11 - 12:27am
Drain

No niether should be forgotten.........the events saved no guessing how many American lives.

Dec 14 11 - 1:59am
B.D.

At the expense of indiscriminate killing of civilian men, women, children.

Dec 07 11 - 4:56pm
Wait Five Minutes

Yeah, there's actually only one item on that menu that qualifies as Japanese.
"Conservatives" just love faux outrage, Seriously, it's what they live for.

Dec 07 11 - 5:32pm
nope

Everyone loves to be outraged. Why else post the conservative overreaction to this on Nerve?

Dec 07 11 - 6:03pm
GeeBee

There are three things that have Japanese words in them - Teriyaki, tofu and edamame, but would any of these items really be found in a Japanese school lunch menu?

@nope: Because conservative faux outrage makes us laugh when it doesn't make us cry.

Dec 07 11 - 11:03pm
Pervect

Tofu is chinese

Dec 08 11 - 4:15am
bg

Tofu is a Chinese word, and Chinese people eat edamame as well. Besides, all of those menu items are Americanized versions of "asian" food...

Dec 07 11 - 5:20pm
rexmerritt

Szechuan is Japanese? That must be the part of China ignorant conservatives believe belongs to Japan. Those people must stop watching Fox News.

Dec 07 11 - 5:34pm
meh

And where exactly is Fox News mentioned?

The links take you to the Washington Post and local television station which is owned by Gannett.

Talk about knee jerk reactions

Dec 07 11 - 6:56pm
julian.

It's okay meh. I understand you need some kind of damage control.

Dec 07 11 - 5:28pm
nurrutia

The ignorant right strikes again. This is a Chinese food menu, with the exception of the Teriyaki, which Chinese restaurants in all the US serve. Wow! Conspiracy theorists will next say that the food contractor, who hires cooks and admin personnel, dieticians, etc. were all in cahoots to include an Asian menu on Pearl Harbor for the Obama girls to consume. Morons! If you are from the right, please get a life!

Dec 07 11 - 5:51pm
JE

This qualifies as news? This is the problem with America...everyone is hyper-sensitive to things that don't add up to a pile of crap. You're offended by a school lunch menu on a particular day in history? Get a life...there are plenty of real issues to get worked up about.

Dec 07 11 - 7:10pm
julian.

Amen. This is why I read newspapers for news because online news sources and television news is all bullshit.

Dec 07 11 - 7:56pm
l

how does this explain why you're on this site?

Dec 07 11 - 6:30pm
fishstix

Now I'm hungry...

Dec 07 11 - 6:53pm
julian.

Really?

Reeeeally?

Dec 07 11 - 7:10pm
enemy lister

For Gawd Sakes, TOO SOON! We don't even serve British food on Independence Day yet!

Dec 07 11 - 8:45pm
Hong Gen-Wah

Dec 07 11 - 8:49pm
Jordan

Seriously!? Are people really this stupid? Don't people have more important and substantive things to bitch about any more? This shit is even more petty than the "war on Christmas" we hear about this time every year.

Dec 07 11 - 9:14pm
aherna

if the righty bloggers have an issue, they should knock the school's caterer --- which appears to be a private contractor. or knock the folks that run this private, religious school. don't knock the obama kids. they hardly made this choice. let them have seared ahi, spam musabi and taro instead.

Dec 07 11 - 9:17pm
BIll F

one vote column A..one vote column B...NO votes for column C (conservative)...please pass the sake (oops )

Dec 07 11 - 10:03pm
CdeLeo

Groucho Marx singing: "They're having tea and scones on Independence Day!"
Conservative Chorus: " IN-SEN-SI-TIVE!"
Groucho Marx singing: "They're having Buffalo Wings on Geronimo's Birthday!"
Conservative Chorus: " IN-SEN-SI-TIVE!"

Dec 08 11 - 12:36am
Drain

Going to an elite private school should forgive any sense of propriety.........ask your american grand father how he feels about serving Asian food on the anniversary of what became our entry into WWII. Guess it's easier to forgive and forget as long as our heros are not forgotten at the same time.

Dec 08 11 - 2:07am
nope

I mean, my mother nearly bit her tongue off when I told her I wanted to learn German. I can acknowledge where her prejudice comes from and understand it, but I don't have to respect it. Prejudices and racism are to be challenged, not lionized as "remembrance."

Dec 08 11 - 12:52am
Jinna

So how come I enjoy bratwurst and Black Forest Cake...whenever we commemorate...wait. Hmm.

Dec 08 11 - 1:50am
George

If the conservatives REALLY wanted to be respectful, consistent, and fair on this issue, and on this day, they should all have NOT driven their Toyota's, Nissan's, Mazda's, Acura's, Infiniti's, Honda's, and Lexus' today, and walked to work instead; they should have kept ALL of their Mitsubishi appliances, air conditioners, and furnaces turned off out of respect; they should have unplugged ALL of their Sony, Panasonic, JVC, Sanyo, and Toshiba televisions; they should have refrained from using their Nikon, Pentex, or Canon cameras or camcorders, and pulled the power on their Sharp, Canon, and other Japanese computer monitors and printers. Cell phones? Shouldn't have used them, most are made in Japan. A day of silence! But did they do any of that? OF COURSE NOT! No, instead, they picked on the (basically Chinese, not Japanese) lunch menu of two young girls whose father just happens to be The President. Stay classy, GOP!!

Dec 08 11 - 10:45am
Sabreen60

ROTFMAO !! Best comment of the day!!!

Dec 08 11 - 5:06am
Mary Adler

If those angry conservatives spent more time learning about Hawaiian history and less time on churchy stuff, they would know that corporate types like Dole and Libby brought immigrant Japanese and Chinese workers to Hawaii to work on the sugar cane and pineapple plantations long before the Imperial Japanese Army ever bombed Pearl Harbor. In fact, those generations of Japanese workers were in a world of hurt when their distant cousins chose to attack Oahu. This is why Texas should never be allowed to mess with history books used in the other states.

Dec 08 11 - 9:49am
Butthurt

I turned on the news and they were reporting on the Nikkei average! I mean COME ON you liberal business news hacks, stop bowing to the emperor for one day and talk just about the Dow and Nasdaq.

Dec 08 11 - 12:18pm
TSRVT

More phony outrage by the right-wing trash element of our society. They should all leave if they don't like it.

Dec 08 11 - 4:00pm
ratbag

This was obviously a planned affront to every conservative by the Obama administration orchestrated by Obama personally... It's another act of appeasement as identified by Mitt Romney to our Japanese military enemies.

I believe the entire administration has been burning the midnight oil in the Situation Room planning the service of Chinese food to school children for months. I am outraged.

Dec 08 11 - 4:38pm
American

I can't believe you folk, my grandad would be rolling around in his grave if he knew about this.damn japs are still trying to ruin our beautiful nation. you so called Americans should be ashamed of yourselves

Dec 08 11 - 8:03pm
American

Dey tok er jerbs !!!

Dec 09 11 - 4:30am
Waddlenbabe

To "American",. My! Aren't we a little prejudice!! But I suppose you are OK and feel justified using all your Japanese products, clothing, etc... If you want ot blame anyone, blame AMERICA for allowing our industry and jobs to be handed over to cheap slave labor in foreign countries. Our polititians who supposedly work for us, sold us down the river a long time ago.

Dec 09 11 - 9:23am
American

Hey, listen to me jap lover. I said japs not Chinese, you get that right. no Chinese ever bombed American troops. last time I checked, japs don't do cheap labor. I'm all for cheap labor these japs very taking over the world

Dec 09 11 - 11:24am
Aron

Hey dumbass, I think you've forgotten the Korean War. You know the one where millions of Chinese Communist 'volunteers' intervened when we approached too close to the Yalu River?

(Unless you're being sarcastic. In which case, you've done a pretty poor job...)

Dec 14 11 - 11:03am
Steve

You ALL make me ashamed to be an American with this goldfish level of ignorance. I really wish Obama actually euthanized (like Palin said) you morons because this country would be a much better place. This menu is more Chinese than anything, but of course, you all just want to hate on a black man in power.