An eight-year old boy named Elijah became the coolest kid on the playground after he encountered GOP candidate and same-sex marriage opponent Michele Bachmann at a recent event promoting her new book, Core of Conviction: My Story. After some slight coaxing by his mother Lora, Elijah stepped up to Bachmann's table and told her, "Miss Bachmann, my mommy's gay but she doesn't need any fixing" (video below). A speechless Bachmann waved the boy goodbye, shooting his mother an icy glare as the two walked away.

Okay, so yeah: the kid was obviously coached by his mother, and yes, this is a far less fabulous gay-rights-protest tactic than glitterbombing, but it's still pretty sweet to see Bachmann, an outspoken opponent of gay rights, get served by an adorable eight-year old. Besides, what the hell were you doing when you were eight, other than figuring out how to spell "boobs" on the calculator?

Dec 06 11 - 1:02pm
Hm

I'm all for telling Bachmann what's what, but I really don't like it when people to push their kids into confontations that they don't want to have.

Dec 06 11 - 8:18pm
Ryan

ugh god I'm with you. I thought this was gross. Bachmann may be a souless monster, but this was the worst way to go about it.

Dec 06 11 - 9:57pm
Nia

this. I wish I could disagree, but honestly even my disdain for Bachmann's psycho self isn't enough for me to want children to be forced into activism.

Dec 06 11 - 1:21pm
Ems

Who say he didn't want to have the confrontation? He was brave and should be commended.

Dec 06 11 - 2:29pm
Doofus

His body language and the fact that he can't speak louder than a mouse fart says he didn't want this confrontation.
When he grows up to be an emotional wreck, I hope no one blames it on his mom being a lesbian. I hope they blame it on her being nuts.

Dec 06 11 - 3:18pm
Me

I agree that the moms probably wanted their kid to do this more than the kid did, but I don't think he'll grow up to be an emotional wreck.

Dec 06 11 - 3:47pm
WHAT

My nephew acts like that whenever he's introduced to someone new. Not to mention someone is sitting there pointing a camera at him. I don't think it's hard to believe that an 8 year old could understand that this woman wants to ruin his family.

Dec 06 11 - 3:55pm
Okay

His mom took care of that.

Dec 06 11 - 4:44pm
l

hmm...well i used to work with kids and i can tell you that i don't think his mom put him up to it. if she had he probably would have started crying and screamed 'MOMY I DON'T WANT TO DO THIIIISSS!!!" i think he just did what most little kids would have done and kind of froze up and shied because it was happening irl.

Dec 06 11 - 4:44pm
Stokely

Poor lil guy. My 8-year-old would NOT be comfortable being filmed confronting a politician in a bookstore. Why the fuck couldn't his mom do it herself?

Dec 06 11 - 5:29pm
aa

hardly a confrontation. do ppl on this site even have kids? you think 8 year olds with lesbian moms are not having conversations about political climate or that their family is a little 'different' . you think that kid doesn't get all this and maybe he collaborated with his mom. he appeared shy and he got encouragement from his mom and he told her politely. hardly a traumatic event in his life. he'll be proud that he communicated that to some asshole politician. good for him.

Dec 06 11 - 7:40pm
Okay

Or he will look back on it as the time he was forced to do what his mother didn't have the balls to do. The mom wouldn't have been arrested just for saying, "I'm gay and don't need to be fixed.". Actually, maybe the mom needs to get fixed. What this boy needs is a father; not two dads, just one straight father.

Dec 06 11 - 8:21pm
MBR

Well said, Okay. The mother seems like a real piece of work.

Dec 06 11 - 9:19pm
Dee

@Okay " What this boy needs is a father; not two dads, just one straight father." Any points you may have had that were sane were rendered moot by the insane piece of garbage. Yes, straight fathers are going to FIX THE WORLD. Please.

Dec 06 11 - 11:02pm
Okay

Rag time already, Dee?

Dec 08 11 - 2:22am
Dee

Yes; I am a lady on my period so that is why I am having a difference of opinion for you. Thank you for trying to invalidate my argument with femininity-- not that my name is really indicative of much at all. And as I've said before, I'm ACTUALLY a gender neutral living on a commune in the wilds of Canada. No one menstruates, which is good, as it attracts wild animals.

Dec 06 11 - 2:12pm
JB

Hahahahahaha she's like "whaaaat" god I love it when that happens.

Dec 06 11 - 2:36pm
Okay..

Well, Timmy, where did you come from? Did Mommy adopt you because she doesn't sleep with men or did she use a turkey baster to conceive? She may not need to be fixed but thingsbsure aren't working for her the way nature intended, did they?

Dec 06 11 - 2:59pm
iwouldprefernotto

Hate much?

Dec 06 11 - 3:04pm
Okay...

Nah, I just think that what this mom did was bullshit.

Dec 06 11 - 6:48pm
iwouldprefernotto

As opposed to going around the country telling people that being gay is a sin.

Dec 06 11 - 7:37pm
Okay...

Yeah, but I would say it. I wouldn't send a fucking kid to do it. There's a difference.

Dec 06 11 - 3:27pm
Arvid

"A speechless Bachmann"... Would you have rather her flip out and tell the lady off? I think she handled this as well as possible.

Dec 06 11 - 4:24pm
Okay

That's why the chicken-shit mom had her kid do it. I love how this kid was forced to do this and yet Nerve gives him the title of LGBT Activist. What if a straight mom had forced her kid to say something anti-gay to a gay rights politician? Everybody here would be screaming about unfit parents and that the kid should be taken away. Hypocrites.

Dec 06 11 - 4:46pm
moops

Ever see a tea party or Fred Phelps rally? There are bunches of kids holding signs with stuff like "Obama is a monkey" and "fags burn in hell". Are you suggesting that they are doing this without the influence of their parents?

Dec 06 11 - 4:51pm
Stokely

I agree. And yes, I'm totally pro LGBT--been shacked up for 21 years with my opposite partner bc I won't get married until all couples have the right to marry. Bachmann sucks but so does that kid's obviously messed up mom.

Dec 12 11 - 6:53pm
bosco

@ moops:: please show us the pics of those signs. Everyone should see them.

Dec 06 11 - 6:14pm
nope

Eh, my mom basically used me as a weapon/buffer when I was little so that she could shout nasty things at politicians and they couldn't arrest her. It wasn't traumatic, it was fun, and upon reflection it's hilarious.

Dec 07 11 - 2:00am
WTF...

...she used used you to do things so that she couldn't be arrested? So wr0ng it hurts.

Dec 06 11 - 6:56pm
Ems

Just because a person is 8 doesn't mean they don't have free will.

Dec 06 11 - 8:02pm
Dr. Zeus

Is this the gay version of moms that force their kids into those beauty pageants?

Dec 06 11 - 8:28pm
l

yeah im sure pageant girls and an 8 year old telling someone his mom is normal have a lot in common.

Dec 06 11 - 8:38pm
Okay...

It's actually the same thing. The kids are just puppets. People on here bash others for "indoctrinating" their kids with religion. This isn't any different so where's the outrage? This mother is a bad mother and a fucking coward.

Dec 07 11 - 2:00am
WTF...

@Okay +1

Dec 07 11 - 7:49am
...

Parents using kids as conduits for their own agendas is something that sticks in my craw.

Dec 07 11 - 3:38pm
Ems

The kid might actually want to do this, standing up to a bully.

Dec 08 11 - 12:47pm
moonbeam

I agree with the kid.. but Mommy should of been the one to say it. Not the boy. Glad to see his Mom is teaching him good values though! Hopefully we will get better politicians in the future because of it! I fear for our country when women like this are given a soap box!

Dec 08 11 - 10:00pm
Stoplight

You tell him, Dee.

Dec 12 11 - 9:51pm
From a Gay man

You should never put your kids in your war..... That was a lost for us Gays big time what a fail!