GOP pundit calls out Obama for eating dog meat

Barack and Bo Obama

It looks like team Romney might finally have a little ammo in the political battle over SeamusGate: conservative pundit Jim Treacher dug up a passage from Dreams from My Father in which President Obama recalls eating dog, snake, and grasshopper meat as a small child in Indonesia. "Say what you want about Romney," says Treacher, "but at least he only put a dog on the roof of his car, not the roof of his mouth." Zing!

Now, some people might argue that a child under the age of ten simply eating what his stepfather presented to him is far less alarming than a grown man strapping a terrified dog to the roof of a car for fourteen hours, but no use quibbling over details here. Not when the Romney campaign finally has a way to impugn the President's formerly impeccable prowess as a dog owner.

And, because everyone was clearly waiting with bated breath for this, PETA has chimed in on the matter:

"A child has an excuse," said a spokesperson, "but grownups all should know by now the disgusting condition of slaughterhouses and fear and suffering that animals endure on factory farms and try a vegetarian diet that's good for them, animals, and the environment."

In other words, we can all just go back to being quietly disappointed with everyone involved. Get back to me when someone kicks a puppy and really spices things up.

Apr 19 12 - 3:40pm
moops

More proof that Obama is anti-Christian: Dog is God backwards!

Apr 19 12 - 5:07pm
fishstix

Then isn't he the savior in eating the devil?

Apr 19 12 - 4:07pm
Greg

Some people might argue that a grown man strapping a terrified country to failed economic policies for the last four years might be worse than anything to do with the treatment of a dog Virginia!
btw, is Gitmo closed yet? How's that Patriot Act repeal coming?

Apr 19 12 - 4:22pm
mp

I agree! Thank goodness Obama's policies have been working well for getting the country on the right track.

Apr 19 12 - 4:24pm
dawg

it's the economy, snoopy

Apr 19 12 - 8:00pm
Greg

@mp ... he has economic policies? Really? What are they?

Apr 19 12 - 4:09pm
True Patriot

It warms my heart to know that I live in a country which judges its leaders by things they did when they were preteens.

Apr 19 12 - 4:09pm
moops

A child eating a certain food is exactly the same as an adult abusing their pet.

Apr 19 12 - 8:01pm
Greg

Yes, the pet is till alive and the child has acquired a taste for dog.

Apr 19 12 - 4:18pm
tokahontas

Greg, is this your way of telling us that you condone dog eating? Do you...um...eat dog yourself?

Apr 19 12 - 8:03pm
Greg

No ... and I used to open the window of my car to let my dog push his head way out so I guess that makes me a "dog abuser" ... at the time he seemed to like it though.

Apr 19 12 - 4:46pm
Kel

In the rural north of Vietnam, dog meat is called Thit Cho and sold at roadside stands. It was explained to me that the dogs slaughtered for meat were "dogs without a face."

Apr 19 12 - 5:09pm
fishstix

Ironically, if Obama were to become a vegetarian GOP-ers would say he's anti-american against the meat industry and the jobs it creates.

Apr 19 12 - 8:06pm
Greg

That wouldn't really be irony ...

Apr 19 12 - 5:22pm
really

Who started this crap? Axelrod.

Seems to me that the President's political adviser was looking for a safe way to attack Romney and failed on it.

Much like Hilary Rosen, the 35 time visitor to the White House, and her talking points on Ann Romney.

Do these advisers have a clue?

Apr 20 12 - 9:24am
GOPbusters

Contortions. The mark of a troll.

Apr 20 12 - 1:41pm
meh

Troll??? Brought up some valid points. Considering the backtracking of the WH on Rosen's statements (wives and children off limits) and the backlash on the whole dog thing.

If there are the issues that his advisers are going to put in the forefront, it's just going to point out how much they don't want to run on the last three years.

Tired of the personal attacks, lets see some serious discussion of the issues that really matter to the citizens.

Apr 20 12 - 3:12pm
wellduh

Troll? Why do you label those who disagree with you? Can't handle it? Or are you just trying to pettily control everything? Yeah. You think you can escape to the confines of the internet and not have to deal with other people/opposing views. Hmm,kind of the pot calling the kettle black eh? You,not me. Yes. In online discussions,people will say things you don't like or don't agree with. Grow up and deal with it.

Apr 19 12 - 8:09pm
Greg

Now, you are about to learn why my degree in Electrical Engineering is MUCH better than Virginia Smiths (?) degree in Anthropology ...
The head line for this article really should be:

"President bites Dog!"

Now that's writing skill bitches!

Apr 20 12 - 12:05am
hey greg

Shut up

Apr 20 12 - 1:08am
Greg

Ooouh, you got me!

How about "President bites dog, .. and swallows!"
That's pretty good too.

Apr 20 12 - 10:14am
profrobert

"Hey, that's not what you're supposed to do with a dog!" -Rick Santorum

Apr 20 12 - 7:31pm
wellduh

Not to get too politically personal,I really try not to,no I really don't when I type what I am about to say,in that I don't react to such related things in any sort of Dems vs Repibs,one is better or worse than the other. Not my aim and shits getting old. Anyways,the bottom line is: He ate a dog. Let me repeat that. He ate a dog. I'm a dog lover and I do take this personally. Not in a knee jerk,super fucking pissed,way,just in a way that that to me is unacceptable. Dogs are friends,not food. The most loyal,loving,noble animal. Well,one of them. I mean,you might have a pet pig which are good from what I understand and could be just as lovable,loyal and all that. I mean,it sickens me to think of this. How are people gonna frame this one? "Oh! it's just wonderful multiculturalism and he was just being non-judgementally tolerable of another cultures customs and traditions!!! Don't judge man!!!" But yet I bet a number of anyone who would say that are always so toally against animal abuse and all that,as anyone should be. Yeah. You can't compare what Romney did to this. BTW,how is that any different than when someone goes on a 12 hour + airplane ride? It's not like the dog is there with you on the ride. I mean,at least his dog got to live and didn't become dinner. As a result,he,Obama,ain't getting my vote.

Apr 20 12 - 9:14pm
wtf

...yeeeeahhhh... he was a (and I quote) "small child". And when you're a kid, you generally eat what you are given. You know... since most kids don't tend to cook/provide for themselves, thus have no voice to argue against what they are given for dinner. Unless you're one of those spoiled brats whose parents cater to your every needs. That happens a lot these days, so I can see how some people might feel like a child should carry the moral responsibility/anguish of what he or she eats, despite probably never having touched an actual cow in their entire lives.

Apr 20 12 - 9:35pm
wellduh

Small child or not,whether one gave it to him or he ate it on his own,you don't eat dogs. Wouldn't most well,normal kids?,freak out over something like that? Oh what does that make him "more mature" for not doing such a thing? So,if he did the right thing and refused to eat it cause he thought it was wrong,he'd be a spoiled brat? So,anyone,child or adult,should always eat what's given to them no matter what? Wow. What kind of world do you live in? Well,cows are different than dogs. Doesn't make it any less sad or tragic,but you just don't eat dogs.

Apr 20 12 - 10:19pm
wellduh

Also,I would say just cause you don't like what's cooked/being served,doesn't mean you're a spoiled brat who's every whim and need is catered too. So you've liked every meal ever made that's been served to you? I mean,it's one thing to be polite about it and white lie a little,another to try and b.s the rest of us.

Apr 20 12 - 10:36pm
wtf

When I was a kid, I was told to eat everything on my plate. If I didn't, it was repacked for me for the next day's lunch. Why? Because my mother didn't cook for everybody in my family's individual tastes and whims. And why should she? One family, one meal. Simple. And guess what? As soon as I was old enough to start cooking and packing my own lunch, sometime around the sixth grade, I could make decisions on what I would eat for lunch. And then when I graduated from high school and moved out to attend university, I had the freedom to eat whatever I wanted to because I had a job, I paid for my own apartment, and I paid for my own groceries. That's the way life works for people who don't have nannies to cook three different meals for three different kids (and I've seen this at some of my wealthier friends' houses).

Apr 21 12 - 1:37am
wellduh

"When I was a kid, I was told to eat everything on my plate. If I didn't, it was repacked for me for the next day's lunch. Why? Because my mother didn't cook for everybody in my family's individual tastes and whims. And why should she?"

Well,that's all a matter of individual case. So you liked everything your mother ever cooked,and you'd be punished if you complained? Sounds kind of vindictive to me.

"That's the way life works for people who don't have nannies to cook three different meals for three different kids (and I've seen this at some of my wealthier friends' houses)."

You just took it into a completely unrelated area than what we were talking about. Well,what does living on your own or not have to do with what choose or don't choose to eat? I'm not rich nor never had a nanny if that's what you think.

Apr 21 12 - 12:34pm
profrobert

Anyone who thinks what someone ate when he was a child somehow affects whether he should be President of the United States is dumber than a dog.

Apr 20 12 - 10:27pm
wtf

Well considering the fact that he moved to Indonesia at the age of six and spent four formative years in a country where eating other animals such as certain species of dogs is acceptable, I would say it's safe to assume that he picked up on cultural habits, as would any normal child immersed in a different society for a number of years. And how are cows different from dogs, exactly, besides the social value that western societies have given them? Or pigs, or chicken or any other animal destined for the slaughterhouse for that matter? I own a dog and I love him with all my heart. If I owned a cow, raised it from the age of six weeks as I did my dog etc etc., I'm pretty sure I'd be aghast if somebody decided they were going to kill it for food. Oh. But wait. Slaughterhouse cows aren't anybody's pets, so it's okay. That's strange... neither are those dogs species bred specifically for eating in certain countries. Face it. Animals are animals are animals. It's the social value, and more importantly, the level of human contact with the animal in question, that makes the difference, which is why in America, "you just don't eat dogs" and in other countries, "you just don't eat cows/pigs/insert-animal-species-here"

Apr 21 12 - 1:45am
wellduh

"Well considering the fact that he moved to Indonesia at the age of six and spent four formative years in a country where eating other animals such as certain species of dogs is acceptable, I would say it's safe to assume that he picked up on cultural habits, as would any normal child immersed in a different society for a number of years."

Cultural differences,schmultural differences,I think eating dogs is wrong no matter what. And here we go with the cliched multicultrualism argument defending all things,killing and eating dogs.

"And how are cows different from dogs, exactly, besides the social value that western societies have given them? Or pigs, or chicken or any other animal destined for the slaughterhouse for that matter? "

Because simply put,yes,some animals were made for consumption and others weren't,esp dogs. Doesn't make it any less sad when it's a cow,pig,or chicken,just,you don't eat dogs ok. Dogs are mans best friend,not cows. And what does western society have to do with anything? Projection issues much?

"I own a dog and I love him with all my heart. If I owned a cow, raised it from the age of six weeks as I did my dog etc etc., I'm pretty sure I'd be aghast if somebody decided they were going to kill it for food. Oh. But wait. Slaughterhouse cows aren't anybody's pets, so it's okay. That's strange... neither are those dogs species bred specifically for eating in certain countries. Face it. Animals are animals are animals. It's the social value, and more importantly, the level of human contact with the animal in question, that makes the difference, which is why in America, "you just don't eat dogs" and in other countries, "you just don't eat cows/pigs/insert-animal-species-here"

Well,what would be harder or easier for you to kill or eat? A cow or a dog? I mean,if one wants to own a cow as a pet like one would a dog and treat it as such,so be it,doesn't mean or make eating dogs right or acceptable.

Dogs are more than animals ok. They're like people,they are. Well,if other countries see the eating of certian animals as wrong that we might not,that's fine,I understand. In fact saying that,I would expect one to understand and see that empathy for dogs,esp one who ones one,in such a thing.

Apr 21 12 - 1:05pm
wtf

I do have empathy for dogs, just as I have empathy for cows, pigs, chicken and other animals that are consumed for human beings' consumption.

"Because simply put,yes,some animals were made for consumption and others weren't,esp dogs."

What in the world does that mean? When humans and animals evolved into what they are today, did they come with a sticky note attached saying 'made for consumption'?

"Dogs are more than animals ok. They're like people,they are. Well,if other countries see the eating of certian animals as wrong that we might not,that's fine,I understand."

just contradicts what you said in your previous statement about "some animals [being] made for consumption". Why? Because by saying that you understand other people might find eating certain animals 'wrong', you imply that it is in fact social decorum that determines the position of the animal within that society, be it for nutritional purposes or for domestic purposes.

PS

In response to your other comment, "Well,what does living on your own or not have to do with what choose or don't choose to eat?", I hope you realize how silly you sound. Living on your own definitely determines what you choose or don't choose to eat, because the person living on one's own purchases the groceries and does the cooking. When you are a child and living under the care of somebody else as a DEPENDANT, and especially if you have siblings, you don't have a choice. And as for vindictiveness, well, not quite. I just don't see how repacking leftovers for lunch is vindictive, unless I was allergic to the particular meal. Which wasn't the case.

Apr 23 12 - 12:22pm
In fairness

Assuming they have a decent sex life, wouldn't Mr. Wasserman-Schultz be guilty of eating a dog?