By now you've heard of the picture of a man's bulge posted to, then quickly deleted from, New York Rep. Anthony Weiner's Twitter account this weekend. Chances are you've already made up your mind as to whether Weiner's account was actually hacked, as the congressman claims, or this was a monumental fuck-up by a guy trying to send dirty pictures to his mistress. Personally, I'm holding out hope that the hacking version of events is the real one. For one thing, I am a huge fan of Weiner (I know, I know... pun not intended but I guess not wrong), and I'd hate to see him undone by something like this. For another, the whole story seems oddly confused and confusing, and I'd think something like this, were it simply his mistake, would be more of a slam dunk for people who don't like him. All that being said, though, I'm not super-optimistic.

But if you'd like some slightly unexpected evidence in Weiner's favor, maybe Jon Stewart can convince you? Because, he says, he's got some knowledge of the man's private business, and the man is just not that anatomically gifted:

Did everyone else know that these two went to school together? And swam around in the ocean sans bathing suits? Because if this was common knowledge before and no one told me, I'm going to be really, really disappointed. There are some things I just need to know.

Jun 01 11 - 11:22am
pfft

Hard to tell if he's lying, because I have never seen the man answer a direct question with an actual answer.

Although this time he hasn't gone off on a tangent, he just refuses to answer the question.

Jun 01 11 - 11:31am
y

The whole thing is creepy.

Jun 01 11 - 2:00pm
Gazbo

Weiner is one of a very few politicians anywhere who has a real brain and actually uses it. He also has a willingness and ability to speak his mind, and clearly. Sorry pfft, you're not paying attention - or don't like what you hear.
As for calling this mess "creepy", that just helps make a world where any two bit punk can "discredit" anybody at all in five minutes. Nothing ANYWHERE suggests that Weiner is the sort who does "creepy" stuff. No history, no behavior, nothing.
I say you're creepy Y. Cheap shot, huh?

Jun 01 11 - 3:19pm
y

The whole thing is creepy.

Jun 01 11 - 2:27pm
pfft

No one said he isn't well spoken, but he doesn't answer the questions posed, he goes off on his little diatribes on whatever issue he has taken on that day. He's a typical politician.

And in this case how hard is it to answer the direct question of whether it is a picture of him or not? Whether it was hacked or not.

And why exactly does a congressman need to follow a 21 year old's twitter?

The more he refuses to answer the questions put forward, the creepier it gets.

Jun 01 11 - 4:12pm
Lolita

They were totally roommates. Weiner-Stewart 2012.

Jun 01 11 - 10:04pm
y

It would be more like Stewart's Weiner 24/7.

Jun 02 11 - 9:17pm
Really?

Jon Stewart wants to assure us that Anthony's Weiner is not that big.

Aug 30 11 - 6:35am
Sundance

That saves me. Thanks for being so sneisble!