News

Libya declares ceasefire after UN approves no-fly-zone

Pin it

After the UN Security Council voted 10-0 on Thursday to authorize military action against Libya, with the imposition of a no-fly-zone, Libyan Foreign Minister Moussa Koussa  announced today that Libya has declared an immediate ceasefire, less than two hours after British Prime Minister Cameron said British fighter jets were readying for deployment to enforce the UN decision. Many people are skeptical about the ceasefire (as well as the timing of the no-fly-zone), believing that Gaddafi is merely buying time as he scrambles to plot his next move. And indeed, explosions continue to be heard despite the putative cessation of hostilities. Secretary of State Clinton, who, along with Defense Secretary Gates, recently stated that bombing would be required, spoke at a press conference today, saying she wasn't impressed by words, only actions, in regards to the ceasefire.

Various individuals have expressed their concerns about mission creep, the potential introduction of ground troops, and the vulnerability of no-fly-zone pilots to a few dozen anti-aircraft installations, stocked with Soviet-era missiles.

Some good news came out of the region, as Libyan government officials told the U.S. State Department that the four New York Times journalists who went missing on Tuesday would be released today. They had been captured after entering a rebel-controlled region of the country, after crossing over the Egyptian border to cover the conflict.