New Hampshire defunds Planned Parenthood

The New Hampshire state government has voted to defund Planned Parenthood Inc. of state funds. The resulting loss for Planned Parenthood will amount to up to $1.8 million dollars, or twenty percent of their annual funding. Even more dumbfounding, the state has removed the organization's authority to provide low-cost birth control and antibiotics to individuals without insurance. Planned Parenthood has always had a "sliding-scale" for prescription costs. You bring them a paystub, then they determine how much of a discount you receive on birth control or other prescription medications. The cost is always deeply discounted from what you would expect to pay at a pharmacy.

Jennifer Frizzell, a spokesperson for Planned Parenthood, reported that Planned Parenthood has had to turn away twenty to thirty people per day seeking to refill prescription medications. Many of these people will be unable to pay full price for their drugs, and will have to do without. In a country where so many are without health insurance, institutions like Planned Parenthood are invaluable in maintaining the health of the poor.

By my calculation, if Planned Parenthood turns away approximately twenty-five women per day seeking birth control, that's 9,000 women per year. Each one of them, when denied access to contraceptives, is more likely to experience an unwanted pregnancy. Great job "fighting" for fewer abortions, New Hampshire.

Follow the author of this post on Twitter.

Jul 12 11 - 2:53pm
Riiight

What a load of shit this article is. Women don't get pregnant because they don't have birth control. They get pregnant because they have sex. If they really are that hell bent on being sexually active, then they, and their partner, should be able to figure something out. Most of these women still find a way to pay for rent, groceries, alcohol, cigarettes, go to clubs, drive a car, satellite TV, pay for a cell phone with data plans, wardrobe, etc. There are many effective forms of birth control and many of them aren't that expensive. If the woman's partner isn't willing to put up with some of the cost of birth control, then maybe that partner isn't worth being with.

Jul 12 11 - 3:20pm
lessthan

Yeah! Let's punish women for having sex! Let's punish unborn children for having a mom who made a mistake! I'll spot the first round of stones!

Jul 12 11 - 3:36pm
julian.

Because low income women pay for satalite tv and data plans on their iphones? It sounds all fine and dandy when you put it that way, but the facts show that some people are going to have sex regardless. Sure, some, maybe most, will be more careful but there are always going to be those people who won't as much. Low income women are more likely to have unwanted pregnancies that they can't pay for. So, PP offers contraceptives to prevent some of those pregnancies, and offer abortions (which aren't funded by public money btw). These programs are for the people who can't afford the life you think everyone has because you were grown up in upper middle-class.

Furthermore, the point you are missing is that NH took PP's ability to hand out contraceptives and antibiotics which many people use because... just because, that's why, which is certainly not helping prevent unplanned pregnancies in any way. You are just shifting the blame to the women themselves and ignoring the problem of NH taking away a service many people use.

Jul 12 11 - 3:31pm
anon

Well put, lessthan. Some folks just don't seem to get that helping people make informed, healthy, and responsible choices is a positive thing.

Jul 12 11 - 3:43pm
MC

Sound logic except when she gets pregnant, she isn't giving up all these snazzy luxuries to pay for her baby.... the state will pick up the cost of her medical bills to deliver the child, her prenatal medical costs, food stamps, etc. to care for the child. Guess how much that will cost in the long run? Much. Much. More. On a side note, when you have absolutely nothing, the few shiny things you do have are much more noticeable. I don't stop middle class white girls carrying $2000 purses and ask them if they're adequately preparing for retirement or are sufficiently insured, even though their irresponsibility will lead to a collective tax burden. Just ease up on the judgement. I guarantee you we're all paying for something irresponsible you're doing, or some government program you're taking advantage of, or some tax credit you complain about but never fail to claim.

Your smug judgment does not prevent unwanted pregnancies. However, I do appreciate that you recognize that a partner should help pay for birth control. Yay, you.

Jul 12 11 - 4:11pm
completely

MC, you are awesome as fuck. Just so you know.

I mean, everyone in this thread (other than you, Riiight) has been pretty solid, but attacking the very nature of the fact that we are so much more critical of the poor than the middle class and wealthy for their indescretions, beautifully fucking done. Internet high five.

Jul 12 11 - 6:04pm
Riiiight

Punish the women for having sex? Punish the unborn child? Pity the poor people? If we are talking about necessary medications, then yes, it is a shame. But we are talking about unnecessary things like birth control and I don't give a shit about income; it's about personal responsibility and we shouldn't let poor people off the hook when it comes to sex. You're telling me that even the poor can't afford a box of condoms? Maybe they should do something from time to time that won't get 'em knocked up. And you're right, I am blaming the women and their partners for unwanted pregnancies because that's where the blame belongs. You all want to blame NH for cutting the funding and blaming them for the pregnancies. Why does being poor mean that you don't have to be responsible and liable for your actions. I was poor once, I sure as fuck don't remember anybody bailing my ass out for irresponsible behavior. My girlfriend and I found a way to afford birth control even if it meant that we cut back on some other "luxuries"; we didn't expect the taxpayers to pay for it. And when we were surprised with my daughter, guess what? We didn't blame the gov't and we found a way to fucking pay for our own actions. And I know that pregnancies happen even when birth control is used, but that isn't what we're talking about, is it? So fuck you all. It isn't about income, it isn't about necessities of life, it's about being responsible for your own actions. I know a woman that had 4 kids by three different men by the age of 22. She shouldn't blame the gov't for her four kids just because she couldn't keep her goddamned legs closed.

Jul 12 11 - 7:47pm
ronnie

Thank you Riight! I can't believe the ignorance of these comments! Let's say hooray to being blissfully ignorant and selling the idea that being poor means the government takes care of you and sell the stupid people on the idea that responsibility is ALWAYS for somebody else so they can continue banging away and then point the finger at someone else because THEY got pregnant. Nothing like living to make sure people are never empowered. Further for the ignorant posters who spread their bogus lies that these POOR poor people are getting shafted let's not foget that it is the majority of POOR who use abortion as birth control anyway ...and most abortions are repeat customers because they are just TOO DAMN LAZY to bother with birth control. Funny thing the ignorant liberals just can't stand it when they are confronted with common sense because that SHIFTS the blame where it BELONGS on people who are willing to take action having sex and no action with the outcome. Another way to make sure the poor stay poor so the liberals can have something to get on their soap box about. Thank you New Hampshire for taking a stand maybe other states will follow your LEAD!

Jul 12 11 - 8:16pm
@ ronnie

My liberal hackles are all afire ever since you dropped that C-Sense bomb on me. I thought that anticipating a very predictable cause and effect relationship (less birth control available to people who don't have money to raise babies + decreased sex education + holding poor people to a standard of abstinence that we don't hold others to = more babies that everyone else has to pay for) might have fooled you into thinking it was common sense, but you have demonstrated that your mathematical formula is, in fact, common sense-ier than mine. I now see that less birth control + more judgment + no practical solution offered = heavier tax burden on everyone (magically negated by weightless feeling of glee derived from assigning blame instead of proposing solutions).

There is no finger pointing. People who can grasp abstract concepts are anticipating a large economical and social cost resulting from this funding cut. It would be nice to head that off.

Just to hammer this home .... people who are "too lazy" to get birth control ..... will multiply. I feel like deep in your shriveled black heart, that concept should encourage you to have birth control readily available. If nobody was using it because they preferred an invasive, difficult and expensive surgical procedure instead of taking a pill every day, there wouldn't be much outcry about it.

Jul 12 11 - 9:13pm
julian.

Right and Ronnie are concerned with blame and who's fault it is. Which doesn't fucking matter. It doesn't matter whose fault it is when there is an unplanned pregnancy, the child still needs to be paid for. So, maybe the parents were at fault for getting pregnant while being unable to even care for themselves. Fine. What you are suggesting is that we take support from them that could prevent them from getting there. We weren't trying to say it wasn't their fault or that we should blame the government, as you both suggest, we are saying that we want to help prevent some of those unplanned pregnancies before they happen so that there isn't another child brought into this world by parents (many times just one parent) who can't provide for their child. And, bypass the problem of whether there should be abortion or not all together. We are really talking past each other because you think we care who is to blame, no, because we are arguing that to stop this cost on low income people, children of unplanned pregancies, and society (taxpayers) is to prevent it from happening, not on the basis of "it isn't their fault" but on the basis of "this is a problem, and something needs to be done to fix it." But, I see what the problem is. You think that if we can assign blame to the lower class, which maybe, in many cases is rightfully deserved, that we can say that the problem is solved. But, merely placing the blame and pulling all funding from things that would help them is not helping the problem. Look at Romania, which banned abortion and family planning. Now, they did it for different reasons but the effects would be the same. Birth rates doubled just the next year and there were thousands of children, homeless and parent-less within years. There are some documentaries about it and you can learn about it online. So, the whole branding blame on people and saying "tough luck, pay for everything" doesn't solve anything. It is a necessarily cost we have to account for in society, unless you want crime rates to rise, as some economists have linked crime rates to unplanned pregnancies.

And Ronnie, you talk about logic. But, your logic is cost of birth control for 9000 women > the cost by taxpayers (food stamps, education, medicaid, etc.) to raise children of unplanned pregnancies. The cost of raising a child is in the ballpark of 150k minimum till 18, btw.

Jul 12 11 - 9:24pm
@ Riiiight

You who are so wound up about personal responsibility should be supportive of Planned Parenthood's efforts to get birth control to the uninsured poor. The average minimal cost of childbirth in hospital is about $9,000 -- well beyond the means of someone who can't afford birth control. More likely for low-income women, the birth will be complicated -- from $15,000 for a simple c-section to hundreds of thousands for a premature baby. She will not pay for any of these costs -- you will, because the hospital will shift the costs onto those like you who have insurance or have the means to pay their bills. And then her kid will cost the state in public school expenses ($11,000/year), and then ultimately in criminal justice, court costs, and incarceration (~$50,000/year). This is all way beyond what this kid's mother will every pay in tax revenue -- so it's *you* who will pay these costs. I say the more Planned Parenthood discounts birth control, the better for us all -- and the less discrepancy between those who generate costs and those who pay them.

Jul 12 11 - 10:21pm
ronnie

lol well julian then YOU pay for all of those women who have enough money to through around on other perks YET don't want to PAY for their damn birth control. Sorry I'm not the happy liberal like you are who wants me to work for all of the people who don't want to support THEMSELVES and their entertainment. If sex is entertainment for some then they should PAY for it. What's up next? Will I be footing there movie tickets and paying for them to attend a sporting event or concert too ...oh hell while were at it let those go-happy liberals set up a spending account at the liquor store for all the poor slobs who don't want to take responsibility for their OWN lives. Give us all a break please! The liberal song has no end - the ignorant liberals would love to have every working soul in America pay 95% in taxes so all of the "poor folk" can enjoy their lives. Sorry if you are too dumb to comprehend that there are those of us who don't buy the sad song you sell. And yes we do talk past one another when society is so wrapped up in self-serving liberal BS and their think-tank that those of us who are tired of listening to how much more we can HELP those who REFUSE to help themselves it just gets very old indeed. You can sell yourself on the idea that I am assigning blame if you choose the REALITY is liberals choose to live in their fantasy world and responsibility is some dirty word. I KNOW the cost of raising children I have 5. All of them are paid for by the hard work my husband and I do with our jobs and planning how to allocate our money. Not all were planned however WE TOOK responsibility. I know that is a hard word for you to comprehend seeing you choose to shift responsibility to the "blame game".

Jul 12 11 - 10:59pm
@ everyone

Show's over, folks. Reason isn't getting through to this one. Ronnie is still not seeing the logic and, humorously, overly concerned with the blame game. Why bother?

Jul 13 11 - 12:16am
julian.

you said it @everyone dood

Ronnie, pal, you didn't read the words I said.

It's fine that you TOOK responsibility. BUT, some PEOPLE don't/can't. SO when there is a PROBLEM would you rather PAY for something CHEAP and PREVENTATIVE or would you RATHER pay for the MORE expensive burden later?

You can argue all you want about how they should all have to pay themselves because they caused the issue, all you want. But, when it comes down to it you too will be paying for the costs. And, it isn't about whether we want to or not, or who will take up the burden because we all will have to.

I'm not the one playing the blame game. You are, by making attacks against political party, or what you think the political party is, instead of coming up with a rebuttal argument. Because the only point you made I already addressed. I guess you just didn't read what I said. This isn't about aligning myself with a political party; it is about accepting reality; the problem we are actually experiencing right now and your normative view of what should be done, but won't and can't be done.

But, I'm done here, because if you don't listen to this and just continue on talking about how liberals want to take everyone's money and spend it on people not you then there is nothing I can say more, because you don't actually see the reality of the situation, you just see what people tell you the reality is. You claim I'm the one living in a fantasy world when you are the one who thinks the only way to solve a problem we all have to pay for is to pull out all funding for any type of solution.

Jul 12 11 - 3:15pm
Rj

Women get pregnant because they have sex. True. Women are far less likely to get pregnant if they are using some form of birth control. Also true. By denying women who CAN'T AFFORD birth control, they are causing more unwanted pregnancies, and therefore abortions. I don't know who you're talking about, but planned parenthood isn't just dealing with older women who have apartments, pay rent, and pay for all the expensive things you listed above. It's dealing with teenagers who aren't educated and people who make low-incomes and sincerely need the services being offered. New Hampshire is making a huge mistake.

Jul 12 11 - 10:33pm
ronnie

women who can't afford birth control ...interesting sad position seeing last time I checked it was me and my husband that had sex and had children. I sure the hell didn't have sex by myself and impregnate myself. Deny women? My husband took responsibility for having children and I did long before we were married. We had sex we got pregnant it wasn't easy RESPONSIBILITY never is easy. America has hit a new low when liberals are so inept they make themselves look so stupid with comments that say "society is causing unwanted pregnancies". That is got to be the most pathetic idea yet. Again get your facts straight today's teenagers are very savvy about pregnancy or have you not watched the latest show that glorifies teenage pregnancy and actually pays these girls to be on a reality show about it???? The answer isn't liberal agenda of help the poor who don't know better - because the poor and the young do know better and you are a fool if you believe otherwise.

Jul 12 11 - 3:28pm
anon

More like "Old Hampshire," am I right?

Jul 12 11 - 3:30pm
julian.

decry abortion

simultaneously take away ease of access to birth control for thousands of low income women (people who are statistically more likely to have unwanted pregnancies)

Jul 12 11 - 3:32pm
G Unit

Life's a bitch, then you impregnate one. Just switch to anal sex and learn to enjoy it. Problem solved.

Jul 12 11 - 3:35pm
anon

Actually, anal sex can lead to pregnancy. So not only is your joke not funny, it's also a logical fallacy.

Jul 12 11 - 3:36pm
anon

That's the kind of thing you might know if you had been in a good sex education program. One that didn't teach abstinence only. Or if you'd received the information somewhere else, at say an organization like Planned Parenthood.

Jul 12 11 - 4:05pm
@ anon

Ha! Zing.

Jul 12 11 - 4:14pm
completely

I had an awesome sex education program and I never heard about this, nor do I really believe it's a thing that happens very often. Still, anal sex without protection is a great way to get a buttload (hurr hurr) of STIs.

Jul 12 11 - 4:22pm
anon

If a sex education program doesn't bother to address the myriad ways one can impregnate another, I'd think it safe to call its "awesomeness" into question.

Jul 12 11 - 4:42pm
completely

I'm sure there are all manner of incredibly stupid ways semen can wind up in a vagina, and as long as the basic "don't get any semen in your vagina" concept is there, I don't really think you need a special chapter for "splash conception." Do you have any statistics on how often this happens?

Jul 12 11 - 5:12pm
anon

we're just to have to agree to disagree on this. it seems that you're okay with receiving less information in your education and then reacting defensively when that's brought into question. I have 100% statistics on that.

Jul 12 11 - 5:30pm
NoDr

"Problem solved" is obviously an overstatement, but I guess it's still a form of pregnancy prevention, just as the "pull-out" method is. Nothing is 100%, even condoms or pills. I'd be willing to bet anal sex on its own results in very few pregnancies.

Jul 12 11 - 4:15pm
completely

This is a truly disturbing development. Yes, for a long time, people have warned that after they come for the right to choose, they'll come for the pill -- but it's still chilling to see it happen.

Jul 12 11 - 6:21pm
Riiight

There really is no comparison between the right to choose and blaming others for the results of your own willful actions.

Jul 12 11 - 4:50pm
erichv

You know, sometimes I wonder why this debate even exists. It seems that some people want the US to turn into a theocracy. I'm very grateful I'm not American and don't have to deal with this kind of politics.
I agree with @completely. Dan Savage warns that people who say they're against gay marriage and polyamory are actually deeply sex-negative and are coming after all of us. Looks like he's right.
Now poor people are going to get sick. Being poor is not actually immoral. It's not a personal failing to be poor. You can be a good person and still be poor. It's such an inhumane world-view.

Jul 12 11 - 6:24pm
Riiight

This isn't about religion or a theocracy. It's about saving the taxpayers some money. And for those of you who pointed out that taxpayers end up paying for the unwanted pregnancies, you're right: I shouldn't have to pay for those irresponsible results either.

Jul 12 11 - 8:53pm
julian.

but you are still going to pay for them, just because you don't want to doesn't mean you win the argument, you are still going to pay for them

choose the more rational decision

Jul 12 11 - 5:04pm
profrobert

"Live Free or Die From Lack of Affordable Gynecological Health Care." I'd like to see that on the license plate.

Jul 12 11 - 5:13pm
anon

well done.

Jul 12 11 - 5:53pm
<##>

Umm, "live free or die"... might have something to do with personal responsibility and not living under any form of government that controls what you do. Pretty much how NH works, no sales tax, no income tax, no helmet laws, no seat belt laws.

Jul 12 11 - 6:29pm
Riiight

How is not having taxpayer-funded birthcontrol pills going to cost women their lives? The old "back alley abortions" argument? Come on, profrobert, you know better than that. Insurance has never covered condoms and those are effective. Where's the outrage at that? Why can't anybody just stand up and say, "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime"?

Jul 12 11 - 8:53pm
profrobert

Planned Parenthood does a lot more than give away birth control pills (or, for that matter, perform abortions, which are a small portion of its overall work). For example, it provides treatment for STDs (for both women and men, I might add). They also provide other forms of health care. For example, you don't just walk into a pharmacy and get birth control pills; they have to be prescribed by a physician, presumably after an appropriate medical examination. I'm sure at least some portion of the women turned away were coming there for the examination and prescription, not just the pharmacy service.

Jul 13 11 - 4:56pm
appalled

In Texas a biannual pap smear including a breast exam is required for a woman to keep receiving her discounted birth control. Studies have shown that regular pelvic exams save lives. Women that might have died from undiagnosed cervical cancer or STDs are much more likely to get treatment in time if these issues are spotted during a routine exam. I don't know if NH had similar requirements, but now those women are at risk for more than just an unplanned pregnancy. I have been going to Family Planning, a similar state funded agency, for 7 years. I have received discounted birth control, and exams. The pill I have been taking for two years cost me $20 there, as opposed to $80 at a pharmacy without insurance. I understand that a woman needs to be responsible for her own actions, but it's rulings like the one in NH that make it harder for low income women to do so. Condoms are not foolproof. The pill however is 99% effective if taken properly. I hope there are other organizations in NH that can help those women that Planned Parenthood has been forced to abandon.

Jul 12 11 - 6:47pm
WinkyWoo

this makes a LOT of sense when you think about it. Wow.

www.total-privacy.ua.tc

Jul 12 11 - 7:55pm
izzy

If they used birth control in the first place then abortion wouldn't be a problem. Abortion is NOT birth control. Condoms are birth control. The Pill is birth control. Abortion is a last ditch effort by people who in no way or shape understand the consequences.

Jul 12 11 - 8:02pm
snoebay88

"LIVE FREE OR DIE'

Jul 12 11 - 8:21pm
Jeffffff

I guess it is easy to leave out the fact that we are way over budget in NH and budget cuts across the board and even state school tuition hikes are a fact of life here. As a percentage we are #5 or #6 in the nation being over budget. You can not spend what you do not have. Give me a break, get your facts.

Jul 13 11 - 12:40am
profrobert

There's this thing called "taxes on millionaires." Look into it.

Jul 13 11 - 5:15am
Tack

Oh that's a great solution. If they make more money, clearly the rest of us are entitled to take it back by force.

Jul 13 11 - 4:19pm
profrobert

Two responses: A) Yes, it's called the social compact. It's also called democracy -- the majority gets to impose its will on the minority, except in certain constitutionally defined areas. Millionaires are not historic victims of discrimination, so yes, the people should vote to tax them on a graduated scale.

B) And how did they make that money? Well, let's take the stockholders of Goldman Sachs, for example. Goldman, it turns out, was a major creditor of AIG, which was bailed out by the U.S. taxpayer to the tune of billions of dollars. Those millionaires who own Goldman stock saw it retain its value solely because billions in tax dollars were funnelled to them through AIG. So, yeah, taxing millionaires to get our money back seems eminently fair.

Jul 13 11 - 11:35pm
lessthan

Plus, they only pay 17% (income tax) which is way lower than middle classes ~35%, so a small tax increase wouldn't hurt them.

Jul 15 11 - 4:49pm
@profrobert

Silly. You could confiscate the entire income of "millionaires" and it wouldn't cover a quarter our deficit.

You need to to your homework, the populist screed bit is getting old.

Jul 12 11 - 9:40pm
rm

You don't want to pay for someone's birth control? I'd really rather not pay for two wars & multiple "hostilities," but you know, with the way our elections & representative government work out, we don't have all that much of a say in it.

Maybe your tax dollars could go towards the war & mine could be funneled towards PP. I'd be happy, & you'd still be an asshole.

Jul 12 11 - 10:10pm
@ rm

Ha!

The funny thing is how many D-bag kids I knew in law school who had never worked a day in their lives complaining about where their tax dollars were going. I was like, "whoa-ho-ho, YOUR tax dollars aren't going anywhere, pal!" They live the ultimate subsidized life, and preach to me about the entitlement of the poor. Pfft.

YES, I know when your parents are bankrolling your life, it is different from the Government. However, it shows the same personality traits that everyone is so quick to decry in the poor, right down to using grocery money for drugs. And I promise you those kids aren't keeping their Izods buttoned up, but their unwanted pregnancies end in rushed weddings that someone else is paying for or discrete abortions in a nice clinic that someone else is paying for.

Who's the bigger douchebag? The kid who is handed everything, endlessly encouraged, prodded, and has his life planned out for him but doesn't appreciate it OR the kid that doesn't receive adequate nutrition as a fetus, grows up in a shitty house with a shitty family and receives zero meaningful opportunities to do anything, is considered a blight on society, has nothing handed to him, but fails to tap dance when he gets his $40 per month in food stamps or articulately explain why his girlfriend needs cheap birth control?

It isn't giving someone an excuse. It's trying to understand the full spectrum of circumstances that a person is coming from. Using this tactic, I fully understand that there are programs that you personally are furious about "funding" through paying taxes and I think it is legitimate to feel that way and awesome that you are talking about it. But if your only criticism of funding Planned Parenthood is an economic one and an extreme revulsion to the sexual activities of poor people, I think you need to re-think your position. If you can propose an economically sound reason for supporting these cuts, I'm all ears.

If the money isn't in the budget, make it in the budget. Don't save 1 dollar today if it is going to cost the state a thousand dollars over the next few years.

Jul 13 11 - 12:52am
SlyStranger

I have been reading a lot of negative comments about the poor and "underclass" from poeple who obviously consider themselves better. My only comment is that if you hate these people so much doesn't it make more sense to make sure we make less of them?

Jul 13 11 - 5:01pm
appalled

I have noticed a lot of that too, SlyStranger. As a person who used one of these state funded family planning agencies for 7 years (finally got insurance at work, yay!) I resent the way some people here talk about women that rely on these services. We're not all irresponsible sluts feeding off the tax payers. I pay taxes too! I hope those people never need my help.

Jul 13 11 - 4:10am
Ariana

I'm a college student who makes very little money.

Does that mean that I have no right to birth control? Does that mean I have no right to inexpensive cancer screenings? Does that mean that my ELDERLY mother, who had breast cancer, didn't deserve to have her life saved because of a biannual mammogram that came just in time?

Does that mean that I don't have the right to the morning-after pill if I get raped on my way back to my dorm? Are you JACKASSES going to make me worry about pregnancy? Will I have to have a child that I don't want because you refuse to understand how important PP IS for young, underprivileged women like me?

You people are ignorant if you believe that this is a good thing. It's not. You preach about responsibility, but I'm fulfilling my responsibilities, okay? Yes, I have condoms in case something like this happens, and I will pay full price for a Morning-after pill.; but it's also my responsibility to pay my rent, to feed my mother, and to ensure that all the utilities stay on, while I attend college. I cannot afford to get pregnant right now, and I most certainly can't afford to pay for birth control.

You don't know me. I don't know you. I won't tell you you can't get an abortion, so don't tell me the same thing, okay?

Jul 13 11 - 6:57am
@Ariana

No, you have no right to taxpayer-funded birth control. Ditto taxpayer-funded cancer screenings. Personally, I believe you should have access to each but the method of payment is a separate issue. It is entirely possible that your situation means that, in order to get the things you need, you shouldn't be in school. Incidentally, you're not "underprivileged" if you are in school. In fact, I suggest that being in school is actually quite a privileged. I've worked extensively in the Third World; "underprivileged" should not be applied to a US college student who presumably has a place to live and plenty of food but no one to pay for her birth control.

You're manifestly NOT fulfilling your responsibilities since your entire post is about having others pay for your necessities. If you can't afford to get pregnant, don't get pregnant. Any number of web sites can explain how pregnancy occurs; feel free to abstain from sex while you're in school. If you don't, can you explain why I should be responsible for your bills?

Jul 13 11 - 7:52am
Jules

Exactly. Ariana, if you cannot afford to get pregnant right now then don't get pregnant. Abstinence works every time. It's very simple.

Jul 13 11 - 11:14am
Ariana

Because abstinence works so well for rape scenarios.

Jul 13 11 - 11:23am
Ariana

I personally am not receiving any of these services, aside from a PAP smear a year and the occasional mammogram. I'm simply saying that this should be available to other college students.

And by the way: I know that. That's why I use my FULL RIDE to go to college. Birth control, obviously, isn't on the list of things I'm fighting planned parenthood for - it's the mammograms, it's the PAP smears, and it's the STD testing for underprivileged people who are living in a similar situation that I am. I don't think that women who are brutalized in a sexual way deserve to worry about getting pregnant when they could just get inexpensive Plan B pills.

INEXPENSIVE - not FREE. We still pay for what we need.

Better yet, why not put your money where your mouth is? Why not tax the rich? Why not tax your politicians, who are currently the entire reason we're

Oh, and by the way? Biology majors tend to get scholarships. I've been offered a full ride to my choice university. Next time, please don't make assumptions.

Jul 13 11 - 11:29am
Ariana

*we're even arguing about this? Why not make them answer for something? In my mind, it was Bush who put us in this mess, it was the Republicans who supported him, and it's the Republicans in office now who are spreading messages of hate and fear across the country.

AND, which costs more - an unwanted child that's put into the system immediately after birth, or a monthly pack of pills? Do the math. It costs 10,000 a year - at least - to raise a child. It only costs about 4000 to get adequate birth control. Planned Parenthood at least gives women who are sexually active cheap birth control to prevent pregnancies - at least SOMEONE'S trying to do something. What are you doing?

Nothing? Good. Glad we agree. Stop trying to take away the services that do.

Jul 13 11 - 6:34pm
Joe

Ariana, I couldn't agree more.

Also, I can't believe someone actually said (@ariana) "No, you have no right to taxpayer-funded birth control. Ditto taxpayer-funded cancer screenings. . . . It is entirely possible that your situation means that, in order to get the things you need, you shouldn't be in school." Are you fucking kidding me? I should forgo a higher education and personal betterment because you don't want a little bit of your tax dollar to help me out with occasional cancer screenings? That's one of the meanest, most selfish things i've ever heard (and this is the internet, so that says a lot). Whoever said that -- I hope you get cancer that could have been prevented had you caught it in time, dick.

The haters here forget or ignore the fact that PP is not handing out anything free, only discounted WHEN NECESSARY. Its a sliding scale, with everyone paying commensurate with their earnings. So, you are at most helping these women out with a little bit of the cost for these important, potentially life-saving services. They don't have a big bowl of pills at the entrance, people.

Also, as mentioned in other posts -- if you can't do the time, don't do the crime -- this attitude that people aren''t taking responsibility for their actions. Is this true? Sure, and it sucks. I don't want to pay for some welfare moms BC just so she doesn't add child #18 to her ghetto brood anymore than you do. But if i don't, then i know i'll end up spending more in the long haul providing welfare and other public services for her unwanted child for the next 18 years.

Its not fair, and its not perfect, but having planned parenthood is better than not, and NH is gonna find that out. I just hope to the God so many of you want to cite that this stops here.

Jul 13 11 - 8:50pm
@Joe

No, I am not fucking kidding you. I realize I'm being selfish for not wanting to provide you things with my money. You, on the other hand, are entirely virtuous by taking (via taxes) that which is not yours. The scenario is simple, take too much of what I make through my hard work and I won't work so much. You can't take from me that which I don't have.
"Discounted" in your definition means partially paid for by me. Let me be clear - I'm chanelling Obama - I DON'T WANT TO PAY YOUR BILLS. If you can't go to school full-time and take care of yourself, to to school part-time. You need to pull your own weight. I have my hands full providing for my family and I really can't handle taking care or yours.

Jul 13 11 - 11:16pm
@@Joe

Unless your independently wealthy which I doubt since only like 2% of the population is you use a public service that our COLLECTIVE taxes both sales and income pay for. so stop the hypocrisy no man is an island no matter how much libertarians are under the delusion that we are.

Jul 14 11 - 6:59am
@@@Joe

No hypocrisy here. I'll pay for my insurance and/or my bills. You do the same. Don't use the excuse that you're a student. Questions?

Jul 14 11 - 1:46pm
@@Joe

So youve never used a public school, subsidized stafford loans, roads water, electricity, corn... all of these are subsidized in one way or another by the feds. Hypocrite.

Jul 15 11 - 4:52pm
@@@Joe

Silly. I pay my taxes. I will not pay your bills. Questions?

Jul 13 11 - 7:49am
TKO

Great job New Hampshire! There's plenty of other organizations that provide birth control and real health care services other than an evil and corrupt organization like Planned Parenthood. (Planned Non-Parenthood).

I guess they ran out of space on the sign in the picture - Every Human Has the Right to Choose What's Right For Them. Apparently they ran out of room for the '...except unborn babies' part.

Jul 13 11 - 11:31am
MRAGH

I have no problem with defunding PP, as I don't feel it's the government's job (state or federal) to provide these services. Let private donors step up.

What I don't understand at all is preventing them from fulfilling parts of their services, assuming they are funded elsewhere. What sense does tjat make? They're not doing anything illegal, and if the government isn't contributing then they should have no say.

Jul 13 11 - 12:21pm
Beau

AMEN!

Jul 13 11 - 11:50am
KML

There are many disorders that are treated by taking the pill. Just because a woman is on birth control doesn't mean it has anything to do with sex, she might have a hormonal disorder. These are serious, life-impacting disorders that can only be treated by birth control such as Dysmenorrhea and PMDD. What do you suggest those people do?

Jul 13 11 - 8:52pm
@KML

What do I suggest? Take care of yourselves and pay your own bills.

Jul 13 11 - 6:13pm
Jeremy

The mere ignorance of this is laughable. The picture you posted says "Every human has the right to choose what's right for them".....Um...when the state pays to abort children....the "TAX PAYER" DOES NOT GET TO CHOOSE AT ALL!!!! This is about TAX PAYER FUNDED ABORTIONS...nothing more and nothing less. It is absolute hypocrisy to mandate that your tax dollar provide for the funding of abortion no matter what your personal beliefs on the subject are...and then turn around and say ..."BLAH BLAH RIGHT TO CHOOSE...except for what we murder or breathe life into with your money cause we need your money to support our choices....

Jul 13 11 - 7:49pm
HermanMelville

"Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed."

Jul 14 11 - 10:39am
Aio

Awesome.

Jul 13 11 - 8:05pm
Question$

Why does birth control cost 80$ anyway?! I know it does because I tried to buy it without insurance before discovering the public health department but seriously, Its been around forever... Prozac is 4$ and generic birth control is 80$? Sounds like price gouging by big pharma. I think it should just be given out for FREE! If you can't afford birth control you certainly can't afford a baby. I'd rather pay for some BC now (and reserve asinine and unhelpful "moralistic" judgements about poor people) than prisons in 18 years since unwanted children are more likely to commit crime regardless of the socioeconomic status of the mother (see Romania). Pretty sure BC is cheaper than prison. Sounds like NH is picking prisons... Glad I don't live there!

Jul 13 11 - 8:53pm
@Question$

"I'd rather pay for some BC now..."

Good for you. Pay for it and take the taxpayer out of the equation.

Jul 13 11 - 10:32pm
Question$

we all pay for prison take your pick

Jul 13 11 - 10:40pm
Question$

Or maybe you would rather pay elevated premiums for homeowners/renters insurance when crime rates increase when unwanted children become unwanted adults who have increased rates of crime and incarceration, but then again if you like the death penalty just kill them. But still BC is CHEAPER and less of a hassle. I'd like to know how this is saving taxpayer money over the long run. But then again I don't live in NH so its not my tax money its theirs.

Jul 13 11 - 10:32pm
SoWhat?

It's not the end of the world. Just come over to Vermont and stop making such a big deal about it. In the meantime use the old fashioned birth control method: an aspirin. . . . Just hold it between your knees on don't let go.

Jul 15 11 - 2:24pm
R

People have the right not to pay for someone else's abortion. Period.

Jul 17 11 - 11:03pm
Alan Coffee

People have the right not to pay for someone else's cancer. Period.

Jul 18 11 - 5:38pm
Doctor Phibes

People have the right not to pay for someone else's obesity. Period.

Jul 21 11 - 5:47pm
Boson Higgins

People have the right not to pay for someone else's sustenance. Period.