Rick Santorum

You've probably already heard about the two men who were kicked out of a Rick Santorum rally at Illinois' Christian Liberty Academy for kissing. Well, now we have video! The two men, who were escorted from the rally among chants of "USA! USA!" after their brief, staged makeout session were actually there as part of a larger protest, organized by alumni of Santorum's former Catholic high school.

In a statement, Matt Muchowski  — who founded the Facebook group "Carmel Catholic Alumni Against Rick Santorum" —  explained the protest:

"We feel it is important to counter Santorum's anti-gay hate, to set an example to students. Rick sends a message of bullying, but we want high school students to know that other alumni send a message of equality."

Muchowski was also responsible for a protest held outside the event. As for the two men in the rally, they refuse to confirm or deny their homosexuality to reporters. "I don't think the message should be about what my sexuality is," said Timothy Tross. "It's the message that he's saying about sexuality that matters."

Watch below for full video, including Santorum's on-the-fly decision to respond by pretending that nothing happened. Solid leadership potential, as usual.

Mar 19 12 - 6:05pm
Stuckina Parkbench

Somehow the giant Klan hat on the lady at the far right (ahem) of the dais seems spot on.

Mar 19 12 - 6:58pm
djg

The amount of success Santorum has had thus far is mind boggling. When he announced his candidacy, I thought for sure he would be laughed out of the race because of his extremist and blatantly homophobic rhetoric. Turns out, a fairly large percentage of the population of the US support this bigot. It makes me afraid of what the future may hold.

Mar 19 12 - 7:45pm
w

my though exactly. sad...

Mar 20 12 - 12:24am
profrobert

I'm working on a theory that this is the part of the screaming death throes of white, male, Christian privilege. A black man in the White (note name) House? HE'S A KENYAN MUSLIM!!!! My privilege as a white man is waning? PUNISH BROWN IMMIGRANTS!!! MAKE THE BROWN PEOPLE CARRY I.D.!!! My privilege as a man is waning? TAKE AWAY BIRTH CONTROL FROM WOMEN SO I CAN CONTROL THEIR SEXUALITY!!! Gay people exist? THEY ARE SUBHUMAN AND THEIR SEX IS LIKE BEASTIALITY. DEPRIVE THEM OF BASIC CIVIL RIGHTS!!! Perversely, I consider this a good sign. A cornered, dying animal screams and spits the loudest. I hope this sense of privilege dies fast.

Mar 20 12 - 2:15pm
LT

I've thought the same thing profrobert, and hope that we'll soon see that it's true...

Mar 19 12 - 9:01pm
Gee, you mean

that not everybody is intimidated by the pro-gay rights people? And that legislators are too cock-whipped to vote according to their constituents' wants instead of being bullied by gays? Ha! Two guys kissing? Throwing glitter? No wonder the majority is against gay marriage.

Mar 19 12 - 10:19pm
Are you lost?

This is Nerve, you know that right? Did you think you were going to find a bunch of anti-gay rights articles here? You're in the wrong place.

Mar 19 12 - 10:21pm
Kia

Seriously. Are you lost?

Mar 20 12 - 11:33am
MP

The majority of Americans support gay marriage, a figure that is increasing dramatically every year as the elderly pass on (the biggest block of anti-gay marriage folk)

Mar 20 12 - 3:56pm
So why

is it that every time it's up for public referendum, gay marriage fails? It's only the chicken-shit legislators that pass the laws.

Mar 20 12 - 7:03pm
nope

Because national majorities are always better at minority rights than local government. It is one of the best reasons for federalism.

Mar 20 12 - 7:51pm
He's Lost

He/she needs to realize that nerve readers are intimidated by opposing povs, often driven to extremes like profrobert above. Of course, he pretends to be a lawyer so what are you going to do?

Mar 21 12 - 11:13am
nope

It's not intimidating to make the same, transparent, idiotic non-argument on every single article on Nerve, it's tedious. And if you honestly found Lia's comment poorly reasoned it is your comprehension levels that need to check themselves.

Mar 21 12 - 1:39am
Lia

@He's Lost...A comment that goes no further than claiming legislators are "cock whipped" and "bullied by gays" isn't presenting a legitimate "pov". It sounds like a cyberspace high five to fellow anti-gay conservatives, since it makes no real argument. "Are you lost" was just pointing out the fact that it makes no sense to do that here, unless your aim is to provoke inflammatory responses just for the hell of it. And I'm not sure why you think profrobert is "driven to extremes". Is it because of all the caplocks and exclamation points?

Mar 21 12 - 10:33am
Oh, I see...

Trying to expose a poorly reasoned entry but making an even more poorly reasoned one. Clever.

And, no, profrobert's annoying capitalization is not the point. It's the content that is laughable. The man couldn't talk a dog into taking a bone.