AMC might lose Breaking Bad

Negotiations are apparently underway between cable network and AMC and Sony Television, producer of the über-riveting Breaking Bad, that might see the immensely popular show moved to another network.

Sources "with knowledge of the matter" told the Los Angeles Times that Sony has been in tentative discussions with at least three other cable networks should a deal for a fifth season on AMC fall through.

Apparently the straw that broke the camel's back was the network's insistence that that Breaking Bad's fifth season run only six to eight episodes, instead of the show's regular thirteen. Naturally, the creative team shat a brick — imagine having five to seven fewer episodes to develop your by-now notoriously deep characters and plot, five seasons in.

The discussions are apparently part of AMC's wide swath of budget cuts — Frank Darabont recently left The Walking Dead because of a per-episode budget slash of about $250,000.

Speculation is abounding that AMC is looking to cut costs on Dead and Bad because AMC flagship show Mad Men is about to get more expensive: creator Matt Weiner recently landed a new deal to stay with the program for at least another two seasons.

Ooh, network intrigue: it just gets me all a-flutter. Personally, I think AMC needs to tread carefully here — it was about four years ago that they were a channel best known for running Road House repeatedly. A couple of Emmys and they forget where they came from. For shame, AMC, for shame.

Aug 02 11 - 11:53am
DraperFan

Apparently all the extra revenues AMC gained in the Mad Men negotiations weren't enough.

Aug 02 11 - 1:17pm
Moops

That show is still on? Hasn't that asshole drug dealer died of cancer yet?

Aug 02 11 - 2:33pm
equidae

fuck you moops, breaking bad may be the saga of an uptight chemistry teacher with cancer turned murderous would be drug lord in remission, but it's still the most brilliantly plotted, shot and acted TV drama I've ever come across. And if I can't watch it anymore cuz, AMC for some inexplicable reason wants to put all it's eggs in it's 1960s period piece I'm gonna be thoroughly annoyed to say the least.

Aug 02 11 - 3:18pm
DraperFan

That "1960s period piece" has netted the Emmy for Outstanding Drama Series three years in a row. However good 'Breaking Bad' may be (I say this because I haven't seen the show), the fact remains that Mad Men's the golden goose for AMC. Of course, I suspect that will change now that the network has tampered with it in order to increase its revenue. Stupid business getting in the way of the show...

Aug 03 11 - 11:50am
Random

Ummm... it may have been in the past, but I would easily put "Walking Dead" in the category of the golden goose for AMC considering it has the most viewers out of all of their shows, and Breaking Bad also overtook Mad Men for viewers. Not sure where you are getting your data from.

The last season of Mad Men was terrible. The fact they are doing 2 more disappoints me.

Aug 02 11 - 2:25pm
Danielle Gibson

Can we TALK about Sunday's episode? Oh my gosh.

Aug 02 11 - 3:24pm
GeeBee

No you can't shut the hell up until we've all seen it.

Aug 02 11 - 3:56pm
Revenant Shadow

Don't go NBC-stupid on us,AMC. You ought to know better.

Aug 02 11 - 4:38pm
me

I'd be much happier if I could watch the damn show/channel in HD, which is still not an option on DirecTV!

Aug 02 11 - 5:02pm
completely

AMC is definitely in a difficult place, as it has randomly stumbled upon two great (and one zeitgeist-y) shows, and it's kind of a make-or-break moment as to whether they can handle the weight. They should call up whoever balances the budget at FX.

Aug 02 11 - 6:32pm
G Unit

If you must go, go HBO.

Aug 05 11 - 3:58am
Mach

HBO is notoriously cheap.

Aug 03 11 - 12:05pm
me

I hope they move 2 a network that offers hd on direct tv.

Aug 03 11 - 11:08pm
todd

I've dumped DirecTV. If I have the will power, I wait for the HD on Netflix. If not, I pay for HD via Amazon.