Old people don't get The Office, suggests study

Poor old people. There's just so much out there for them not to get: Digipets, those shoes with the wheels, Gwen Stefani. Okay, maybe I'm kind of an old person too, but not as old as the people who don't get why The Office is funny. A team of mean scientists rounded up about sixty people over the age of sixty and made them watch a beloved British sitcom. Awkwardness ensued:

Psychologists found that older people were less adept at spotting Brent's gaffes, which include him abandoning a wheelchair-bound woman in a stairwell during a fire alarm and failing to realize he cannot dance.

Compared to younger participants, the older volunteers were also less able to identifying the varying emotions of the other characters.

Ted Ruffman, associate professor of psychology at the University of Otago in New Zealand, said the implication was that the those who found faux pas difficult to spot were more likely to make them.

So there you have it: scientific proof that old people aren't as hip as you. Are you happy, Dr. Ruffman? Do you just feel so cool now?

Tags The Office

Feb 03 11 - 9:00pm
Gazbo

So, is this post supposed to be funny?

Feb 03 11 - 9:15pm
jmh

Old people don't get Ray Rahman

Feb 03 11 - 9:51pm
GeeBee

Fuck me. I hope there isn't some sudden tipping point after which that kind of stuff doesn't work any more. I'm 57 next month and I have the whole UK Office boxed set on DVD I haven't had time to watch yet. What if it's ineffective by the time I get around to it? Sheeit!

Feb 03 11 - 10:36pm
Gazbo

Don't worry GeeBee, you already don't get iCarly . The thing is, the older you get, the less you care about what you "don't get" - and the folks who think it's reeeeal important.

Feb 04 11 - 1:11am
Tyr

Hell, I thought that was Les Nessman from 'WKRP in Cincinnati'...

Feb 04 11 - 10:47am
Twolane

They were probably Tea Partying Republicans. In that case, who cares whether they get it or not.

Feb 04 11 - 11:01am
J.

I must be entering my old age at 24. I don't really find either versions funny.

Feb 04 11 - 11:35am
AD

I think it is more likely that older people worked in offices with some people like this and it was considered normal. The previous generations had shit jobs and bosses that were not concerned with their opinions or their problems. They could either deal with it or quit.

Feb 04 11 - 2:10pm
Jack

That's okay. You kids under 60 don't get Jack Benny, the Firesign Theater or Pogo, not to mention the Marx Brothers. And that stuff's still funny.

Feb 04 11 - 6:56pm
Concerned for Humor

I sent my 70yr old folks The Office seasons 1-4 for Xmas 2 years ago. Mom's reply: "We think Michael and Dwight are jerks. We like Jim and Pam, and the Temp and Creed are okay too." I'm not sure if this means they "get it" or not.

Feb 06 11 - 3:52pm
Kitty

Well Jack, I'm 26, and I have several early albums from the Firesign Theater that I enjoy immensely.