Sarah Palin with a dead caribou after hunting

Sarah Palin's Alaska — the former politician's reality show on the misleadingly named Learning Channel — features a segment in which she kills and butchers an Alaskan Caribou on live television for fun. Afterwards, she posted a preemptive rant on her Facebook page attacking the people she worried would attack her. Or, to be real, attacking the people she hoped would attack her — since doing controversial shit and writing about it on Facebook is pretty much the sum total of her career these days.

Palin Facebook

Aaron Sorkin didn't "save" anything, writing a blistering attack on Palin in the Huffington Post. I highly suggest you read the entire thing, since it's as well-written and funny as it is insightful, but here are some highlights:

I'm able to make a distinction between you and me without feeling the least bit hypocritical. I don't watch snuff films and you make them. You weren't killing that animal for food or shelter or even fashion, you were killing it for fun. You enjoy killing animals. I can make the distinction between the two of us but I've tried and tried and for the life of me, I can't make a distinction between what you get paid to do and what Michael Vick went to prison for doing. I'm able to make the distinction with no pangs of hypocrisy even though I get happy every time one of you faux-macho shitheads accidentally shoots another one of you in the face.

So I don't think I will save my condemnation, you phony pioneer girl. (I'm in film and television, Cruella, and there was an insert close-up of your manicure while you were roughing it in God's country. I know exactly how many feet off camera your hair and make-up trailer was.)

Here's the original clip, if you're feeling like some realistic gore meets outdoorsy political footage.

Dec 08 10 - 3:47pm
Twolane

The Palindrone is unstoppable. Bwaaaaaaahahahahahaha.

Dec 08 10 - 3:50pm
SR

God bless Aaron Sorkin!

Dec 08 10 - 3:54pm
SR

Also, that was not a mature bull. That animal was probably only 2 or 3 years old. In the hunting world that is bush league.

Dec 08 10 - 4:24pm
Moops

It's another War on Christmas incident! Sarah Palin shot Blitzen!

Dec 08 10 - 4:43pm
The_Chef

Wow ... That's a snuff film? Fuck me. I guess that makes my family full of mass murderers ... oh and my friends.

I don't even like Palin and this is a load of self-righteous, eco-hipster bullshit.

Dec 08 10 - 4:52pm
jack

And not to be too picky but it wasn't "live television".

Dec 09 10 - 4:56pm
profrobert

Sorkin's right: There is no hypocrisy between eating meat and being opposed to killing animals for sport. You want to know what the difference is: I don't go to slaughterhouses and pop a woody with joy; hunters kill for pleasure. That makes them sociopaths.

Dec 08 10 - 7:03pm
BenReininga

There's nothing wrong with hunting, per se. I might quibble with large game hunting -- but that's not the point. If she was just some random lady. Everything she does is an attempt to build/reinforce a political base. One that she might use in 2012! The kind of political points you win by shooting a caribou on TV are the kind that freak me out.

Dec 08 10 - 7:06pm
Pop Culture Blows

I have no problem with killing anything for food or for survival. Other than that, killing for sport is for those with incredibly small penises and matching craniums. Palin qualifies on both counts.

Dec 08 10 - 7:08pm
sczprn

Please tell Sarah Palin that her fifteen disgusting minutes are up... what a schnozzle...

Dec 08 10 - 8:26pm
Me

I'm a vegetarian, and I agree with Palin. If you eat meat, wear leather, etc., you are a part of the system that leads to animal abuse. I would argue that the caribou Palin shot had a better life than the cattle Americans eat that rarely go outside. I still find it repulsive that Palin (or anyone) would still be hunting for sport in this day and age, but it's ludicrous to act high and mighty about the morality of hunting if you haven't sworn off all meat products.

Dec 09 10 - 1:22am
Internetlion

Leave it to a snuff-whore like Sorkin to know what a snuff film looks like. At least SP doesn't freebase coke, Aaron. Or walk around with 'shrooms and other hard drugs in their bags. Or have the reputation of being one of the biggest pricks in Hollywood who takes credit for the hard work his underlings do for him.

Dec 09 10 - 9:43am
Doofus

So, when will Sorkin go after John Kerry for hunting? Or Bill Clinton? Or all the other non-conservatives who actually hunt?

Dec 09 10 - 11:25am
No Dak

Hunting is a means of population control. Without keeping the population in check, there will be more animals than food to support them. The state regulates the amount of licenses according to the population reduction that's needed. Despise Sarah Palin as I do, there is nothing wrong with hunting.

Dec 09 10 - 11:33am
G Unit

Aaron Sorkin, isn't he the West Wing guy? I'm stunned Nerve is even bothering to cover Palin. She's yesterday's news now. As is Sorkin.

Dec 09 10 - 5:10pm
Steve

Bitch shot a deer cuz cameras was near.