"Study confirms that Fox News makes you dumber." When I read that headline, I thought: "No, that's not right. Maybe dumber people gravitate towards Fox, but Fox can't actually make you dumber, can it?"
As it turns out, it can and it does — at least if you define dumb as "believing in things that aren't true." And if we can accept that definition, Fox News definitely makes you stupid. A new study out of the University of Maryland finds that Fox News viewers are the most misinformed of any news-viewing group. More compellingly, the study also found that the more Fox you watch, the more misinformed you become.
Here are some data about the beliefs of Fox News viewers. None of which are subjective. They are just plain false.
- 91 percent believe the stimulus legislation lost jobs
- 72 percent believe the health-reform law will increase the deficit
- 72 percent believe the economy is getting worse
- 60 percent believe climate change is not occurring
- 49 percent believe income taxes have gone up
- 63 percent believe the stimulus legislation did not include any tax cuts
- 56 percent believe Obama initiated the GM/Chrysler bailout
- 38 percent believe that most Republicans opposed TARP
- 63 percent believe Obama was not born in the U.S. (or that it is unclear)
So, not to get all partisan. But Fox sucks.